Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@gloriajean      We are at that point of wanting to downsize... a yard that someone else takes care of.....

In our home for 30 years and has a yard like a park.  Peaceful, nice neighborhood.

The yard  upkeep is expensive- tree trimming and care and bark... etc .. and I do most of it all myself... weeding, leaf raking etc.  At 65 I can do it so far even with four replaced joints. 

We own our home free and clear... but the property taxes are $6000 a year and the insurance runs another $1500 plus a year...

we just finished  putting on  new siding... new roof, new windows, new furnace and heat pump and put in a all home generator...    and new back deck..... about $100,000 total....

but still need to upgrade the  the older kitchen and bathrooms and recarpet etc.   Homes just get old after 40 years and everything needs replacing eventually... and things break down too....

I would like to move into a gated community for 55 and older NO CHILDREN. I just think home upkeep is too hard the older we get. 

Make sure it is what you really want and need at this stage of your life. Home ownership comes with a lot of extra things  that you may not want at this time in  your lifel

That's what we wanted too, but, we found out gated communites for seniors , no children, etc. are as good as they enforce the rules.

People's kids come home with their kids because their druggies and Grandma and Grandpa gets to raise them . 

You really have to be careful, ask questions, investigate, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@gloriajean : I have not read all your replies, but my experience:

I ditched the single family home a couple of years ago ; the kids were grown and not coming back. I bought an end unit condo/ townhouse in a non age restricted community. My unit and the only other one it faces look for all the world like single family homes/ cottages. All the benefits of a house, including a full basement, 2-car garage , laundry and first floor master suite. I have an upstairs loft which I use infrequently, mostly for storage and as a guest suite. No worries about exterior or yard maintenance. My unit happens to be very private and quiet, and I have good, respectful neighbors.

There are alternatives that exist between an apartment and a single family detached house- just saying...

I hope you find just what you want. While financing is great right now (I refinanced last fall, after only 1 year), inventory at all price ranges is very low, which means your choices will be few and desirable places will have multiple offers, including cash offers. In my community there are just a few units for sale and there have been maybe 3-4 end units for sale since last spring, all of which have sold.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't know where you live but do you have homes known as   Patio Homes?  Neighbor (in 70's) sold next to me and bought one.  Cluster of smaller homes - often 2 units attached to each other - not a gated community but mostly seniors buy them up.  Have attached garages - back and front yards belong to you.  Minimum upkeep b/c they are relatively new.  Might go by a different name in your area.  Patio Homes in NYS.

Honored Contributor

I'm a few weeks away from closing on a detached condo in an over 55 community.  Cannot wait for that day to come!

the HOA fees are very reasonable (225/month) and that includes all outside maintenance.  I'll be able to do my own gardening projects on my small deck or on my good sized patio in the back. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gloriajean you and @cherry have held so many here in remembrance, let us do the same for you.

I understand the desire to still live with few restrictions. May your way before you become brightly lit.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@gloriajean      We are at that point of wanting to downsize... a yard that someone else takes care of.....

In our home for 30 years and has a yard like a park.  Peaceful, nice neighborhood.

The yard  upkeep is expensive- tree trimming and care and bark... etc .. and I do most of it all myself... weeding, leaf raking etc.  At 65 I can do it so far even with four replaced joints. 

We own our home free and clear... but the property taxes are $6000 a year and the insurance runs another $1500 plus a year...

we just finished  putting on  new siding... new roof, new windows, new furnace and heat pump and put in a all home generator...    and new back deck..... about $100,000 total....

but still need to upgrade the  the older kitchen and bathrooms and recarpet etc.   Homes just get old after 40 years and everything needs replacing eventually... and things break down too....

I would like to move into a gated community for 55 and older NO CHILDREN. I just think home upkeep is too hard the older we get. 

Make sure it is what you really want and need at this stage of your life. Home ownership comes with a lot of extra things  that you may not want at this time in  your lifel

I'm not aware of any gated 55 communities in western WA.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying a house

[ Edited ]

@gloriajean wrote:

After living in an apartment since 2015 we are longing to own a house again, as the rent keeps going up, We have a realtor to help us find one we can afford with payments less than what we are paying now.  It would be so nice to have our own yard again, bird feeders and a small garden. Even if we are elderly, it's what we want. I hope it's not stupid. Praying we make the right decision. At our apt. we don't know anyone, they come and go. 

You are making a GREAT decision. I could NEVER live in an apartment after living in beautiful, comfortable homes for many years. You're NEVER too old - and I'm sure I'm older. The interest rate is very low right now - and it would probably be cheaper to own. Plus - it's ur house and u will have more room - and it's so nice to have a backyard. Make sure, the main areas, ie, kitchen/family room, get sun all afternoon. That means the front of the house shoud face north - and the back of the house should face south (southern exposure). If the back of the house faces west, the kitchen/family room will be HOT. It's very important to know this. When I bought my brand new house 19 yrs ago - I made sure to get sun most of the day. I suggest u buy a NEWER house - that's in very good condition. You need a home inspection before closing - best to find a professional home inspector from another area so he'll be truthful. I was scammed years ago by the home inspector chosen by my realtor. The house was falling apart, and all the inspector said was for me to get a smoke alarm.

Honored Contributor

Re: Buying a house

[ Edited ]

@gloriajean There are "condo" communities where you have smaller house and for a fee they do all of the mowing and raking. 

Esteemed Contributor

Praying you find just the right thing, @gloriajean.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a real estate attorney in New Jersey.  Right now no one is showing their homes for sale.   All Real Estate Offices are closed.   And on my pending matters Lenders are making it more difficult to obtain a mortgage.