Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying a house with a significant other?

I don't necessarily think it is bad that he want to leave it to his children, especially since you both are probably established in your own careers and such. I would definitely pick a different place though if you want to hold on to this or rent. 

What does give me pause is that he has married 3 times. Now every situation is different and he could have had 2 marriages when he was very young so I couldn't say what I would do without knowing exactly what happened. It would make me think twice before even dating someone who had been married 3 times though.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

Consult an attorney. I'm not sure but unless stipulated in a will after the death of a spouse property usually passes on to the surviving spouse not the children.

It certainly sounds as though he does intend to stipulate this in his will.  That's the problem. 

I do agree re consulting an attorney.  Absolutely.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

Consult an attorney. I'm not sure but unless stipulated in a will after the death of a spouse property usually passes on to the surviving spouse not the children.

It certainly sounds as though he does intend to stipulate this in his will.  That's the problem. 

I do agree re consulting an attorney.  Absolutely.

When my mother in law passed away my father in law was still living. when they were married she had a son from her first marriage that at that point had never left home at the age of 48. My husband was adopted after they couldn't have children of their own and their was almost twenty years difference in their ages. While in the hospital after being told that she wasn't going to make it, my MIL told her son that she was leaving him her half of the house. Well to make a long story short, my FIL found out through the probate court that they had "Joint tenancy" and that the entire house was his. Because they were a married couple and jointly owned the home, he automatically inherited her share. If they had been "Tenants in common" then that would have been a different situation. Needless to say, my BIL was not too happy.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@everyone,reading,commenting or thinking about any of this;;;;;;MAKE SURE YOU GET FULL CUSTODY OF THE BATHROOM!!!!!!!  THIS IS WHAT I ALWAYS THINK ABOUT HALF OWNING A HOUSE!!!!!!  

Sorry, don't mean to make light of the situation, never had experience with this.  But, being 70, I have read and watched so many of these "wonderful"people, I can't imagine ANYONE needing advice from anybody,except an attorney.    Hopefully it all works out in long and loving  marriage------tedEbear 

Contributor

Yep...RUN!

Judge Judy has these disputes on all the time. Watch and learn.

Honored Contributor

He could change his will at any time.  Right?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).