Honored Contributor

Re: Buying a house with a significant other?

Like Maya Angelou said, When someone shows you who they are the 1st time, Believe them!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Been married 40 years, am 64, dh is 66. If he predeceases me I will not remarry. I want my kids to get what we accumulated together over the years.

Also, what is the advantage of marriage at this age?

Living together iffy.

My dh disagrees, he would remarry and share all $ with new spouse.

Respected Contributor

How very wise. When someone tells you something about themselves believe them.

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Would you all think it horrible if she was going to leave her kids her half of the house? 

No, But it is a house in her family, not hsi family..

Esteemed Contributor

DO NOT MIX YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR INHERITANCE!  He can purchase his own house or rent an office.  If he has no money, he may see you as his meal ticket.

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Like Maya Angelou said, When someone shows you who they are the 1st time, Believe them!!!!!

I have found this to be true, and I believe you ignore this advice at your peril.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Would you all think it horrible if she was going to leave her kids her half of the house? 

@jaxs mom

Bingo!!!  ...   I don't think a lot of people are understanding this point ....  yet they are happy to make him the bad guy here.    This may actually be a very good relationship, but an attorney needs to help them sort out finances so there are no surprises later.   

Honored Contributor

I have a different view.  I would sell the house.  You and your brother split the proceeds.  Put that money in an account under your name only.  Get a new marital residence.  Each party puts up half and it's sold after the second person passes on.  Proceeds split based on how it's spelled out in a trust.  Definitely a prenuptial too.  You have to protect yourself and your assets.  Everything needs to be put in writing.  Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@jaxs mom

Bingo!!!  ...   I don't think a lot of people are understanding this point ....  yet they are happy to make him the bad guy here.    This may actually be a very good relationship, but an attorney needs to help them sort out finances so there are no surprises later.   

Kind of like how it's fine when they get those child support checks but they sure resent the exwife getting her check from their new husband. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I can see why he has three exwives.    How much did he bilk them out of?