Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I usually buy two pounds at a time at will vac-seal it in one and two cube packets to keep in the freezer.

When I am going to need some I take one out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator until needed.

Then I take that one and pierce it with a knife along all the 'tbs' markings on the paper, remove it from the paper, and put it into a little Lock & Lock container and keep in a cool place in my kitchen.  That's usually one cabinet away from the west wall, stove, window, etc, so it will stay nicely.

But then I don't keep my house super warm like a lot of people do, during the cooler months.  Usually my house, in the fall/winter, is around 59 to 60 degrees during the day and 54 or less at night.

In the summer it stores well like that (just one cube at a time) because it's in a cool part of my kitchen.  My kitchen is on the west border of the house so that west wall can get a little warm but the rest of the kitchen stays cool.

@chickenbutt......OMGosh, I would be freezing my rear off at your house.  I am always cold now since I've had those cancer treatments.  That is one complaint that most of us have.  Can hardly get warm enough.  Got my gas bill, and it more than doubled from the previous month.  But, we did have some pretty cold weather here too.  Guess I'm a good customer to the gas company....they must love folks like me.  

I have invested in some Cuddl Dud sets.....and they help to keep me warm.  That's how I am dressed today.  It was 19 here this morning....and that's pretty darned cold.

I'm totally the opposite.   I've always had a hard time with heat but revel in the cold.  Weird, I know!  Smiley Happy 

At night, especially, I need my room to be COLD so I block the heat from there in the winter.  The husband and the bird are the only ones I need to look out for.  The dog and I are the same with the cold.

I just got this cool thing that I actually saw on The View recently.  Usually, those deals are just junk with bad reviews.  But they had this long hooded sweatshirt thing that spoke my name.  Fortunately, it's not super heavy or anything but if we ever get any winter I can't wait to try it out.  It's super soft and lovely.   I'm glad it looks like a very nice product, as it wasn't cheap.  At $50 it was half off!  I paid that with no prob, but would not have paid $100 for it.  Kinda want another one, though!  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Butter can be in freezer 6-12 months for best quality..

I also have heard only salted butter can be left on counter...not unsalted 

the salt helps to keep it from spoiling...

Esteemed Contributor

I keep mine in the fridge (in an airtight container) as I only use Butter for mashed potatoes or on a baked potato.  On one of the zillions of cooking shows I watch, it was suggested to keep your butter in an airtight container as the butter can pick up a lot of odors if kept in the fridge.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@TVLand wrote:

Butter can be in freezer 6-12 months for best quality..

I also have heard only salted butter can be left on counter...not unsalted 

the salt helps to keep it from spoiling...

If you vacuum seal the butter it will stay fresh much longer in the freezer.    I probably wouldn't do it any other way, anyway, as it comes wrapped in paper!  Yikes, right?  Smiley Happy   That way, also, I can take out as much as I want and keep the rest of it fresh and vac-sealed.

Regular Contributor

Butter needs refrigeration if it is unsalted, as it will mold and spoil.  Salted butter does not require refrigeration.  Also, Margarine is less healthy than butter.  The whipped oil that it is made of is synthetic and sometimes natural, yet both types of oil can be an artery clogger.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

We use Kerrygold butter. I always have some in the refrigerator & freezer. We keep a stick in the butter boat that has water under it on the counter.

I use Kerrygold too and also keep it in a butter boat on the counter. I like warm muffins with ample butter for breakfast.

My mother always buttered the bread when she made sandwiches. Does anyone do that?

Yes, my Mom always put butter on her sandwiches.

@nun ya   @occasionalrain 

I believe it was done to help prevent the sandwich bread from going soggy.   JMO

@Tinkrbl44

soggy from what?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@TINKERBELL  the condiments in the sandwich ,can make  the bread soggy. That is why butter is used, and also because it tastes good

Honored Contributor

I buy four pounds of butter at a time, salted and unsalted.  I have a spare refrigerator and keep my butter in there.  I do not keep butter in the freezer...ever.

i store my butter dish in the refrigerator. When it is not especially warm in my house, I sometimes will keep it on my counter if I  will use it right away, but not for long.

Butter is churned from cream.  It is a dairy product.  It should be cared for like you would milk.  Sometimes butter will sour if left out on the warm counter too long.

i also buy tubs of whipped butter to use if I need softened butter at the table quickly.  My DH uses whipped butter on toast.

We do not buy or use margarine.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

We use Kerrygold butter. I always have some in the refrigerator & freezer. We keep a stick in the butter boat that has water under it on the counter.

I use Kerrygold too and also keep it in a butter boat on the counter. I like warm muffins with ample butter for breakfast.

My mother always buttered the bread when she made sandwiches. Does anyone do that?

My maternal grandmother always buttered bread before she made sandwiches.  When I was little, my siblings and I would not eat sandwiches she made because of the butter. Yuck!  Ham, cheese,and mustard on buttered bread.

Respected Contributor

My friend's mom used to spread butter first on sandwich bread.  it kept tuna or chicken salad from seeping through the bread.  i do this if making sandwiches for the road...they keep better in a cooler as we may not eat until 4 or 5 hours later.

i spread butter on the outsides of my bread first for grilled cheese

i keep my butter out in a glass covered dish. the hot months i put out a half stick, never had bad butte, r mine is unsalted as well.