Honored Contributor

Re: But what if EVERYBODY did that?!

My husband had a full hip replacement back in July... he was told he didn't need a handicap placard..  I'll just keep my opinion to myself about this topic.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@LilacTree

Does NJ only have handicapped license plates or do they use the hang tag that hangs on the rearview mirror? That hang tag can only be used if the handicapped person is in the car (driver or as a passenger).

If you are handicapped, and I believe from what you have said on certain threads, YOU ARE ENTITLED to apply for the hang tag for a car at your county office of disabilities center.

Not having any form of disability tag on a car is foolish IMO if you are disabled. This is what these services are for.

I really don't know.  I guess I could look into it.  I did NOT know that if I do not drive but am always a passenger that I would still qualify.  I see a lot of NJ handicapped license plates, so I think one has to have plates, not just a tag, which can be hung in any car. 

Here you go: It has instructions for application for placards and license plates for cars:

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/disabled-drivers.php

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

My younger sister is like that.  She thinks rules do not apply to her and she is actually proud of what she does.  She can't wait to tell you.  She and I live in different states so I seldom see her. 

As far as friends go - I do not have a friend who behaves that way.  I think to have a good friendship you need respect and trust.  I would have neither for someone who behaves that way. 

On the "therapy dog"  -  In the state where I live you can fill out a form and pay a fee to get the dog certified.  That way not only can the dog fly in the cabin, they fly for free.  A neighbor of mine was quite proud of this. 

Honored Contributor

Actually this is a psych syndrome - feeling that you just have to break every possible rule. Usually these folks end up in deep legal trouble. There was a girl in my nursing school class many years ago who was like this - despite that she had perfect grades they had to expel her because  she just would not follow even the simplest procedure for how things were supposed to be done.The school recommended to her parents to get her psychiatric help. At our 10 year reunion we heard that she was killed in a car accident driving over a bridge that was closed and it collapsed.Seriously, did not surprise us.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@LilacTree

Does NJ only have handicapped license plates or do they use the hang tag that hangs on the rearview mirror? That hang tag can only be used if the handicapped person is in the car (driver or as a passenger).

If you are handicapped, and I believe from what you have said on certain threads, YOU ARE ENTITLED to apply for the hang tag for a car at your county office of disabilities center.

Not having any form of disability tag on a car is foolish IMO if you are disabled. This is what these services are for.

I really don't know.  I guess I could look into it.  I did NOT know that if I do not drive but am always a passenger that I would still qualify.  I see a lot of NJ handicapped license plates, so I think one has to have plates, not just a tag, which can be hung in any car. 

Here you go: It has instructions for application for placards and license plates for cars:

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/disabled-drivers.php

You really should be using the placard, Lilac Tree. I'm so surprised that one of your doctors didn't suggest it a long time ago. I had one for my mom, the paperwork was filled out by her doctor. I kept it in my car right along with the paperwork that came with the placard. They are of short duration-in my state up to two years but they can be renewed too.

Whenever mom was in the car with me I used that placard.I kept the paperwork handy because the placard has a number on it-and according to the DMV that number was assigned to my mother's name.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't have friends like that,can't stand selfish self centered creeps around me for very long.  We have to contend with them daily without a choice,never by choice.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

When my father was alive, he did things that would make us cringe.  He didn't listen to us and we wouldn't have disowned him from the family because of it. 

Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I'm actually entitled to a handicapped license plate due to my RA and other physical afflictions.  However, since I never drive (my daughter drives my car) I have never applied for one.  I've had many people tell me I'm crazy not to get one because my daughter could use it.  Both my daughter and I think that is fraud and neither of us will do it.

You claim to have all these afflictions yet you and your daughter don't know that you and probably your daughter also, are entitled to a handicapped card?  A lot of people are too handicapped to drive - do you think they are all walking long distances because they can't drive.  If a lot of people are telling you that both of you should get it - then why would you think it is fraud?  A doctor won't sign if it's fraud.  Problem solved.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

The original point I was trying to make is that there are some things that are not inherently harmful, but we have rules for a reason. 

Sure, having your cute little dog on the plane doesn't harm anyone, but what if everyone on the plane had a dog with them?

Pulling up to the door of Costco to load your bags isn't harmful, she didn't run anyone down or cause harm to the store, but what if everyone there decided to do that?

When we first moved to the town home I'm living in, my younger son came back to live with us for a few months.  We have two assigned parking spots (1 garage and 1 car port) and we have two cars.  He would often park his car in the guest parking overnight, because the alternative was to park three blocks away.  I told him that was unacceptable and of course he said, "What's the big deal? The spots are empty everynight."  I reminded him that they are empty every night because people obey the rules. We have approximately 25 guest spots and 70 homes.  What if everyone decided they needed an extra spot? He was 20 years old at the time, a bit self-centered and immature. He has since grown to be a very conscientious man. 

However, there are people who seem to never get past the idea that we give up certain "rights" so that as a community, we can all enjoy peace and safety. What makes some people believe that the rules don't apply to them?

There are reasons for rules like no dogs on planes and no pulling up a car right in front of Costco.  For example, you're right - Nothing happened when your friend pulled her car up right in front.  But if there had been a fire, medical, or other emergency, she and her car would have been in the way.  Every second counts in emergency situations, and keeping the area in front of Costco (and other public places) clear is very important.  My local library recently moved their book drop boxes away from the front of the building because they were ordered to do so by the Fire Department for exactly that reason.  Emergency vehicles need to have easy, completely unobstructed access at all times.  They should be able to assume that the area will be clear, and they should not  have to take precious seconds to navigate around a selfish, entitled woman who thinks the laws don't apply to her.  

Dogs on planes CAN harm someone.  People are allergic, for one thing.  And animals in a closed and crowded environment can in fact be dangerous & hazardous.

So I disagree that these things don't harm anyone. The potential for them harming someone is very real, and that's why laws should be respected and common sense should be used.  Not to mention common decency and consideration for others.

Why do some people think the rules don't apply to them?  Probably because somewhere along the way they were told they were more special than everyone else.  And because there's never been a significant enough consequence for acting so   selfish and for having so little regard for others.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@LilacTree

NJ has both.

And I agree - She should have a hangtag that she can use when she's a passenger.  It doesn't have to be used all the time, but it would be nice to have in certain situations (icy paths, no close parking, etc.)