Esteemed Contributor

Re: But what if EVERYBODY did that?!

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Welcome to the entitlement age, where everybody feels entitled to have the world revolve around them, and to cater to their every whim and desire.

Not everybody.  The majority of people I know are not like that at all.  Yes, lots of people feel entitled, and it's definitely an issue.  But it's far from "everybody".

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

In defense of this friend, I do have to say that she is not a narcissist.  She is very caring and giving and will go out of her way to help friends and strangers alike.  However, while doing it, she might break a few rules and that doesn't bother her in the least.

I've been thinking about it this morning and wanted to add my "favorite" of all her exploits. This woman is Jewish, though no longer observes.  She jokes that Vegas is her temple, so that's where she goes on Jewish holidays. Well, last year, for one reason or another, she didn't go to Vegas so she worked the Jewish holidays. Well, whaddaya know, when Good Friday came around, she took the day off as a "Religious Observance". We get three a year, though I don't know anyone who really uses them. When she saw my surprise she said, "Well, I didn't take off for Yom Kippur". 

She is a dear friend in many ways and I'm not about to cut her off, but I no longer have the respect for her that I once had.

I'm sorry, but I think she sounds awful.

I'm Jewish too, and I think what she did was terrible.  Observe or don't observe, but don't make a mockery of religious holidays, especially those of other religions.  

She not only seems to have no remorse about any of the things she does, but she also seems to delight in bragging about them.  She probably thinks she's a clever special little snowflake.  She's your friend, and you said you're not cutting off the friendship.  I hope you have other friends who are not the way she is because those are the kinds of people you should be surrounding yourself with.

Honored Contributor

The original point I was trying to make is that there are some things that are not inherently harmful, but we have rules for a reason. 

Sure, having your cute little dog on the plane doesn't harm anyone, but what if everyone on the plane had a dog with them?

Pulling up to the door of Costco to load your bags isn't harmful, she didn't run anyone down or cause harm to the store, but what if everyone there decided to do that?

When we first moved to the town home I'm living in, my younger son came back to live with us for a few months.  We have two assigned parking spots (1 garage and 1 car port) and we have two cars.  He would often park his car in the guest parking overnight, because the alternative was to park three blocks away.  I told him that was unacceptable and of course he said, "What's the big deal? The spots are empty everynight."  I reminded him that they are empty every night because people obey the rules. We have approximately 25 guest spots and 70 homes.  What if everyone decided they needed an extra spot? He was 20 years old at the time, a bit self-centered and immature. He has since grown to be a very conscientious man. 

However, there are people who seem to never get past the idea that we give up certain "rights" so that as a community, we can all enjoy peace and safety. What makes some people believe that the rules don't apply to them?

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Not everybody does what the OP and others have stated, thank goodness !
Respected Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

Yes.  I have a friend/former coworker whose husband was disabled and entitled to disabled license plates on both of their vehicles.  Her husband passed away a few years ago but I had noticed the disabled plates were still on the cars.  I gave her the benefit of the doubt and asssumed she just had not had the chance to turn them in yet.  Unfortunately, she does in fact use them to park in handicapped spaces.  I've seen her do this on numerous occasions.  I've asked her about it and her response is "I only do it when there are other handicapped spaces available, I don't take the last one."  How does she know whag happens after she leaves her car???  I have totally lost respect for her.  I don't see her often anymore, and it has had a major impact on our friendship.  It is such a dishonest thing to do. 

That drives me crazy.  I've had friends try to park in them  with me in the car.  I absolutely will refuse to get out of the car until they move.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I'm actually entitled to a handicapped license plate due to my RA and other physical afflictions.  However, since I never drive (my daughter drives my car) I have never applied for one.  I've had many people tell me I'm crazy not to get one because my daughter could use it.  Both my daughter and I think that is fraud and neither of us will do it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

The question was..."do you know someone like this"?  Yes, I do and they are not easy to take!  What makes me feel "uneasy"  (since the word "disturb" offends some) is this whole relationship just seems questionable.  You have two people...one who lies, breaks the law, embarrasses and upsets her friend and shows little remorse.   Then there is the other one who still wants to be her friend but dislikes the way she is on so many levels and mentions all her faults.  It is your life, op.  There must be something you get out of this that I don't see.  I just can't see it as a healthy relationship for either her or you.  You call her a dear friend  one moment and in the next moment....say she isn't a person you respect.  I respect my dear friends a great deal....so I guess we just look at life a lot differently.  Different strokes. 

Honored Contributor

Children are permitted on planes but, other than an orphan evacuation, I doubt there has been a flight where everyone has brought a child with them.

There is such a thing as being too ridged.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

Does NJ only have handicapped license plates or do they use the hang tag that hangs on the rearview mirror? That hang tag can only be used if the handicapped person is in the car (driver or as a passenger).

If you are handicapped, and I believe from what you have said on certain threads, YOU ARE ENTITLED to apply for the hang tag for a car at your county office of disabilities center.

Not having any form of disability tag on a car is foolish IMO if you are disabled. This is what these services are for.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@LilacTree

Does NJ only have handicapped license plates or do they use the hang tag that hangs on the rearview mirror? That hang tag can only be used if the handicapped person is in the car (driver or as a passenger).

If you are handicapped, and I believe from what you have said on certain threads, YOU ARE ENTITLED to apply for the hang tag for a car at your county office of disabilities center.

Not having any form of disability tag on a car is foolish IMO if you are disabled. This is what these services are for.

I really don't know.  I guess I could look into it.  I did NOT know that if I do not drive but am always a passenger that I would still qualify.  I see a lot of NJ handicapped license plates, so I think one has to have plates, not just a tag, which can be hung in any car. 

I know Maine has that hanging tag law because the woman I was talking about in my post in the other thread takes her daughter's tag and hangs it in her car when her daughter isn't using it.  She does a lot of shopping and likes to be up close to the mall.  She's healthy as a horse, probably one of the most physically fit 77 year olds I know.  And, of course, she sees nothing wrong with it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986