Honored Contributor

Re: But what if EVERYBODY did that?!

house_cat wrote:

Big Sister wrote:

Oh, house cat, please tell me you are not going to continue to befriend her.

Like I said, she's a good friend and she was there when I was dealing with cancer and needed her a few years ago.  I figure as long as I don't join her in this behavior and continue to call her out when I think she is doing something unethical, there's no reason to sever ties.  Maybe I can be a good influence.

Yeah, that's about the best you can do - lead by example.  Smiley Happy    

Sometimes it will just 'click-in' all of a sudden - or not - but either way it's your call and I imagine there are probably things about everybody we know, including ourselves, that we don't agree with, or find pleasing but we can still see the good  too.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

You say she is a dear friend in many ways.  You say you're not about to cut her off.  You also say she upsets you and you have lost respect for her.  You have let dozens of readers know many of the dishonest things she does.  If you intend to keep this friendship going....that's up to you.  If you think you can be a good influence on her....that is fine.  If you want to keep her friendship....why did you come here and discuss her dishonest ways and your lack of respect for her?  I find this post rather disturbing.

Respected Contributor

Imagine the things she does without you knowing. 

She sounds charming.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

You say she is a dear friend in many ways.  You say you're not about to cut her off.  You also say she upsets you and you have lost respect for her.  You have let dozens of readers know many of the dishonest things she does.  If you intend to keep this friendship going....that's up to you.  If you think you can be a good influence on her....that is fine.  If you want to keep her friendship....why did you come here and discuss her dishonest ways and your lack of respect for her?  I find this post rather disturbing.

Really? Disturbing? I was asking if anyone else has a similar experience. Surely there are people who have worthy, respectable qualities in one regard and not in another. She's not a murderer or a thief, but I'm surprised at the things she does because they are so alien to me.

I brought the question here because we learn from one another.  I'm sorry it disturbed you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Not that I'm aware of and definitely no one I consider a friend.

My dad sometimes thinks that rules don't apply to him, but he'd never cheat on anything, pay a shady doctor, or falsify documents. He's more likely to get mad when someone tells him about a rule he thinks is silly or arbitrary and try to talk his way around it or get mad about it, but usually ends up following the rule he doesn't like because that's what you have to do.

My step-dad behaved (and used to verbalize as well) as if rules were for other people/peons and chumps, and he just did what he wanted. He thought he was God's gift to his family and the business world, and he brow-beat everyone and treated everone whose tuchus he wasn't needing to smooch like dirt.

He lost his business and went to jail for tax evasion. Karma? He died of Alzheimers.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Oh I know someone like that, my eldest sister. I no longer speak to her anymore. She not only feels entitled, but abuses the systems who truly are blind and is a toxic negative person with nothing nice to say and thinks its 'everyone' has the problem.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

House Cat's friend isn't perfect but nothing posted is so bad she deserves to be shunned.  I consider her taking one religious day, no matter which, off to which she was entitled acceptable.

While dishonest, I would give her a pass for the dog, prohibiting non service dogs is wrong.

Nothing she has done is criminal or harmful.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

Really? Disturbing? I was asking if anyone else has a similar experience. Surely there are people who have worthy, respectable qualities in one regard and not in another. She's not a murderer or a thief, but I'm surprised at the things she does because they are so alien to me.

I brought the question here because we learn from one another.  I'm sorry it disturbed you.

You're post was NOT distrubing. No need to apologize.

Esteemed Contributor

My belief system is such that if you choose to allow people in your life who create bad karma, their karma, in turn, affects your karma. 

It is simply a personal choice.  

Esteemed Contributor

Why is someone like this your friend?

I have known people like this, but no one I ever considered a friend.  My friends & I don't have to have everything in common, but a certain moral code & knowledge of how to behave is something that we do have in common.  

I'm not saying we're perfect!  Just that repeated behavior like this is really not acceptable.  I can't imagine choosing to spend my time with someone who does those kinds of things.  She sounds childish and selfish.  Among other things.