Honored Contributor

But what if EVERYBODY did that?!

[ Edited ]

I have a friend who thinks rules do not apply to her.  For instance, we went to Costco together and she pulled her car up to the door to pack it.  I pointed out the sign that prohibited it and she didn't care. The guard came to tell us to move and she told him she'd only be a minute.

We both got our MA at a local university when we were in our early 40s. She had her son do all of her computer class assignments for her. As a result, she had to ask me to help her with just about everything computer related the last few years.

Recently she had a psychologist write a letter saying that she needed a therapy dog to fly with her. This doctor was recommended by another friend. She met the doctor at a local diner where she gave her $50 and the doctor gave her the letter. She now flies with her dog sitting by her side.  When the letter expired, she whited out the date and photocopied it.  

When I call her out on these things she'll say, "What harm is there?"

Some of the things she does really upset me.  Do you know anyone like this?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: But what if EVERYBODY did that?!

[ Edited ]

Happily, NO, I don't.  I don't think I could consider someone that self-centered to be a "friend".

Honored Contributor

Some years ago, I had a friend who, over time, revealed that aspect of her character.

One day, as I drove away from a visit at her home, I said to myself "You're finished with her."  I never called her again and she apparently knew without asking that we were done.

I'm quite sure she thinks she's better off without me, but I KNOW I'm better off without her.  People who put themselves above the law are toxic.

Respected Contributor

I don't know anyone like that.  But, there are a lot of them out there.

Esteemed Contributor

Welcome to the entitlement age, where everybody feels entitled to have the world revolve around them, and to cater to their every whim and desire.

Trusted Contributor

Spoiler

She would make an excellent Kardashian.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Welcome to the entitlement age, where everybody feels entitled to have the world revolve around them, and to cater to their every whim and desire.

The fact that you said "everybody" I will go out on a limb and assume you include yourself in that? Because I know I don't feel entitled nor do I believe I am "owed" anything. 

Trusted Contributor

@June222 wrote:
Spoiler

She would make an excellent Kardashian.

EXCELLENT answer! ITA!

Trusted Contributor

Fortunately, I don't know anyone like her, but I see rude, entitled people like her everywhere, especially in the gym and in stores.

Honored Contributor

Not that I'm aware of and definitely no one I consider a friend.

My dad sometimes thinks that rules don't apply to him, but he'd never cheat on anything, pay a shady doctor, or falsify documents. He's more likely to get mad when someone tells him about a rule he thinks is silly or arbitrary and try to talk his way around it or get mad about it, but usually ends up following the rule he doesn't like because that's what you have to do.