Honored Contributor

Re: But what if EVERYBODY did that?!

Unfortunately my Dad was like that and what made matters worse, he was in law enforcement. I always thought my Dad was a sociopath, but to my knowledge he was never diagnosed.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Welcome to the entitlement age, where everybody feels entitled to have the world revolve around them, and to cater to their every whim and desire.

Surely you don't really think that type of behavior has never been seen before?

******** You make a valid point, Noel.  When I stop and think about it, the people in my life that have thought they were entiltled have been 40 and over.  Many of them over 65.  Also some people just seem to be born that way.  I do think that some of the children of today will be very demanding seniors.  I have this vision of a nursing home with the residents on a food strike or a wheel chair "walk out" .....maybe a "roll out" would be a better definition!!!

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Welcome to the entitlement age, where everybody feels entitled to have the world revolve around them, and to cater to their every whim and desire.

Surely you don't really think that type of behavior has never been seen before?

******** You make a valid point, Noel.  When I stop and think about it, the people in my life that have thought they were entiltled have been 40 and over.  Many of them over 65.  Also some people just seem to be born that way.  I do think that some of the children of today will be very demanding seniors.  I have this vision of a nursing home with the residents on a food strike or a wheel chair "walk out" .....maybe a "roll out" would be a better definition!!!

Seriously I think every generation has those who feel entitled. I don't think younger generations are worse then older. 

Honored Contributor

Here's another one abusing the system: a relative taking a handicap pass from a deceased by marriage relative and using it for himself. Then when the pass expired, he wrote over the date's expiration to change it! When I questioned him about it, he thought there was 'nothing wrong' with what he was doing!!

Thank goodness now the handicapped passes have permanent dates on them and no one can alter them physically where I live.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I have a close, ENTITLED relative.  He's made a career out of not working, yet living "high on the hog". Just the sight of him or the mention of his name, makes me sick to my stomach.

I could write a book on the ways he milks the systems.

Honored Contributor

Ugh!  Don't even GET me started!

But, yes, I've known people like that and I don't even have polite words for what I think about it.  

Honored Contributor

In defense of this friend, I do have to say that she is not a narcissist.  She is very caring and giving and will go out of her way to help friends and strangers alike.  However, while doing it, she might break a few rules and that doesn't bother her in the least.

I've been thinking about it this morning and wanted to add my "favorite" of all her exploits. This woman is Jewish, though no longer observes.  She jokes that Vegas is her temple, so that's where she goes on Jewish holidays. Well, last year, for one reason or another, she didn't go to Vegas so she worked the Jewish holidays. Well, whaddaya know, when Good Friday came around, she took the day off as a "Religious Observance". We get three a year, though I don't know anyone who really uses them. When she saw my surprise she said, "Well, I didn't take off for Yom Kippur". 

She is a dear friend in many ways and I'm not about to cut her off, but I no longer have the respect for her that I once had.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Oh, house cat, please tell me you are not going to continue to befriend her.

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

Oh, house cat, please tell me you are not going to continue to befriend her.

Like I said, she's a good friend and she was there when I was dealing with cancer and needed her a few years ago.  I figure as long as I don't join her in this behavior and continue to call her out when I think she is doing something unethical, there's no reason to sever ties.  Maybe I can be a good influence.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I once worked with a woman who switched price tags at stores like Target.  I gave her my opinion about it, adding that her mischief was one of the things that caused prices to go up, along with shoplifting.  Since that time, retailers started using bar code systems & also made tags pretty hard to just switch with another garment.

It's a cryin' shame, but there are people who have distorted sense of right & wrong.  I'm not perfect, but I know I'm better than that.