Super Contributor

Re: Burned Pan! Any Suggestions on How to Clean Interior?

I sprinkle with powdered dishwasher detergent and add about 1 inch of water. Let sit overnight. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

sounds crazy but I've done this for years with my cast iron enameled pieces (esp if something is stuck!)

fill with cold water to cover burnt area (do not overfill) & put 1 dryer sheet in. Bring to boil and then simmer  10-15 min somehow it releases the "burnt on" stuff. I also do this with my Corning & Pyrex when it gets those little burnt stuff on the glass.  Allow to cool - while cooling I take a wooden spoon and release stuck on food.

Then was thoroughly with warm soapy water.

I learned this trick in a Helios column many moons ago & the Pampered Chef rep always said this was the best way! 

I dont know why but it WORKS!!! Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

sounds crazy but I've done this for years with my cast iron enameled pieces (esp if something is stuck!)

fill with cold water to cover burnt area (do not overfill) & put 1 dryer sheet in. Bring to boil and then simmer  10-15 min somehow it releases the "burnt on" stuff. I also do this with my Corning & Pyrex when it gets those little burnt stuff on the glass.  Allow to cool - while cooling I take a wooden spoon and release stuck on food.

Then was thoroughly with warm soapy water.

I learned this trick in a Helios column many moons ago & the Pampered Chef rep always said this was the best way! 

I dont know why but it WORKS!!! Good luck!

Wow! I appreciate all the replies and suggestions. I've tried so many things and am also frustrated that I let something burn. I never heard of this dryer sheet idea, so I'll give that a try next.

Maybe I should just dump a little of everything suggested into the pot and see what happens! You never know.

Thanks you all so much for all the suggestions and tips. I always know that I can count on the QVC ladies for good household suggestions.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I would not put all of our suggestions in the pot at once, it could cause a dangerous chemical reaction. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
New Contributor

I pour a little liquid diswasher soap in the pan with cold water and let sit over night. In the morning I just use  an SOS pad to finish off the cleaning......works all the time.

Super Contributor

When I have burned bits that stick to the bottom of the pan, I let it cool, add water an inch or so and boil.  Then I scrap a little at a time with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.  It all loosens up.  No chemicals.  No scrubbing.  Works every time for me.

Respected Contributor

Lots of interesting suggestions, especially that one with a fabric softener sheet.

Unfortunately, most of them involve way too much work for noodleann. Standing over a hot pot that's boiling away while scraping at the burned bits is not my idea of a good time.

If you have lots of time, the version that's never failed me with my Le Crueset: HOT water fully  covering all the burned area. Liberal squirt of strong dish detergent, like Dawn. Stir it up.  Then follow with a good half-cup of ammonia. Put the lid on it if you can't stand the smell. Leave overnight. DO NOT HEAT IT. Next day, try scraping off the burned stuff. I've always gotten it off with a spatula, followed by Brillo. Rinse out very well, and then if you need Comet to finish up, there should be no ammonia around. The idea is to let the water, detergent, and ammonia do most of the work.

The fast method: I keep a painter's scraper in the kitchen. This is a handle that holds a 3" wide razor, and if I need to use that pot shortly, I'll just scrape off that mess with the paint scraper. I've never had it damage a pot, and it should get most of the burned material off. Usually the rest will come up with Brillo.

Honored Contributor

when i had a serious burn to one of my good cooking pans-pots I always did this.

I put some water (not much-about 2 cups into the pot=pan, put a generous amount of dawn liquid dish soap into the pan, put the pan on the stove and turned the heat on low and let the water-dish soap mixture boil   Gently about 30 minutes but it can last up to an hour. When finished I would dump the water mixture out and see if I could scrub out the burned on mess mixture. If the burnt on mess did not want to be scrubbed , i would repeat the water dawn mixture and slow boil the pan on the stove.  This has always worked for me, it may have to be tried a few times to get the mixture all boiled away and i am able to scrub out the burnt mixture.

good luck

Honored Contributor

Did anything work?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.