Honored Contributor

Burn On, Cuyahoga River, Burn On

On this date fifty years ago, the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland Ohio, caught fire -- again.  From being so polluted.   The "famous" photo from 1952 when the river caught fire is mistaken for the June 22, 1969 incident, because according to what I've read, no photos have been found of that occurrence.

This incident gave rise to Cleveland, Ohio being the butt of many jokes, esp. from late-night talk show hosts.  It also gave rise to the Randy Newman song, Burn On, which is played during the opening of the film Major League, a hilarious film about the Cleveland Indians (it plays in the background as scenes of Cleveland are onscreen).

Most importantly, it eventually led to the creation of the federal Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of the Clean Air Act, with federal requirements to clean up polluted water!

From Business Insider:

"Fifty years ago today, on June 22, 1969, the Cuyahoga river in Cleveland, Ohio caught fire.

At the time, the river was one of the most polluted in the US. Journalists filled glasses with pitch-black river water, while politicians dipped cloth into the waves that came up oil-soaked.

The river fire lasted roughly 20 minutes, but it sparked public outrage that in part led to the creation of the US Environmental Protection Agency, the federal office tasked with making sure "Americans have clean air, land, and water.""

Burn On by Randy Newman

There's a red moon rising
On the Cuyahoga River
Rolling into Cleveland to the lake
There's a red moon rising
On the Cuyahoga River
There's an oil barge winding
Down the Cuyahoga River
There's an oil barge winding
Down the Cuyahoga River
Cleveland city of light city of magic
Cleveland city of light you're calling me
Cleveland, even now I can remember
Cause the Cuyahoga River
Goes smokin' through my dreams
Burn on, big river, burn on
Now the Lord can make you tumble
And the Lord can make you turn
And the Lord can make you overflow
But the Lord can't make you burn

Honored Contributor

Re: Burn On, Cuyahoga River, Burn On

@Pearlee,  I love Randy Newman's ironic lyrics in his songs and impish sense of humor (even though his world view is probably the entire opposite of mine-- but his sense of the absurd is irresistable...)

Respected Contributor

I was teaching summer school in Cleveland when that happened..the school was located at the top of the “flats” and we had to close for the day because of the fires. There were many pics in both local and national papers,

Esteemed Contributor

We moved to Shaker Heights, Ohio about five years later and the neighbors were still talking about the fire on the Cuyahoga River! By then, the River was clean and on St. Patrick's Day it was dyed bright green. Woman LOL 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@sydsgma1 wrote:

I was teaching summer school in Cleveland when that happened..the school was located at the top of the “flats” and we had to close for the day because of the fires. There were many pics in both local and national papers,

Have to assume that you are referring to the fire in 1952.  The one in 1969 was out in less than half an hour and virtually unnoticed by the public.  Politicians used the 1969 incident to instill the positive changes.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

We moved to Shaker Heights, Ohio about five years later and the neighbors were still talking about the fire on the Cuyahoga River! By then, the River was clean and on St. Patrick's Day it was dyed bright green. Woman LOL 

Lived here my entire life and never heard of the river being dyed.  Chicago yes, Cleveland no.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Nope, it was the one in 1969..as I recall it burned for a while...the school closed because of air quality. 

Trusted Contributor

This incident mostly provided material for Johnny Carson and other late night talk show hosts as well as for the local talk shows on radio.  Many of the jokes were based on the activities of our very young mayor of that time, Dennis Kucinich. He was not one of the city’s typical crooked politicians. The 1969 fire was short lived but did serve the purpose of bringing attention to the pollution problem that plagued all major cities.  My family lived in Shaker Heights, a Cleveland burb, for 60 years. Cleveland’s inner city has gone through decades of transformation, and the historic downtown and north coast areas are very much alive and vibrant. Cleveland has much to offer, including top of the line health care and educational & cultural institutions......could use a few more sunny days!

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

This incident mostly provided material for Johnny Carson and other late night talk show hosts as well as for the local talk shows on radio.  Many of the jokes were based on the activities of our very young mayor of that time, Dennis Kucinich. He was not one of the city’s typical crooked politicians. The 1969 fire was short lived but did serve the purpose of bringing attention to the pollution problem that plagued all major cities.  My family lived in Shaker Heights, a Cleveland burb, for 60 years. Cleveland’s inner city has gone through decades of transformation, and the historic downtown and north coast areas are very much alive and vibrant. Cleveland has much to offer, including top of the line health care and educational & cultural institutions......could use a few more sunny days!

@CJC   As I recall (and  I do remember Carson's jokes about this incident), for a long time Cleveland was referred to as the Mistake on the Lake!

I have read that it's only been recently that the fish in the Cuy. River have been safe to eat (that is, for the first time in 50 years!).   Source is www.usnews - an article appearing March 19. 2019.

"Fish From Infamous Cuyahoga River Are Now Safe to Eat

FEDERAL OFFICIALS SAY fish from the Cuyahoga River are now safe to eat – nearly 50 years after the waterway infamously caught fire, alarming environmentalists.

The river in northeastern Ohoi, which flows through the Cleveland's downtown into Lake Erie, was so polluted by industrial waste and sewage that it caught fire at least a dozen times. It last caught fire in June, 1969.  Federal environmental regulators announced Monday that they are easing restrictions, saying fish caught from the waterway are safe for consumption."

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@CJC wrote:

@CJC   As I recall (and  I do remember Carson's jokes about this incident), for a long time Cleveland was referred to as the Mistake on the Lake!

I have read that it's only been recently that the fish in the Cuy. River have been safe to eat (that is, for the first time in 50 years!).   Source is www.usnews - an article appearing March 19. 2019.

"Fish From Infamous Cuyahoga River Are Now Safe to Eat

FEDERAL OFFICIALS SAY fish from the Cuyahoga River are now safe to eat – nearly 50 years after the waterway infamously caught fire, alarming environmentalists.

The river in northeastern Ohoi, which flows through the Cleveland's downtown into Lake Erie, was so polluted by industrial waste and sewage that it caught fire at least a dozen times. It last caught fire in June, 1969.  Federal environmental regulators announced Monday that they are easing restrictions, saying fish caught from the waterway are safe for consumption."

That’s probably accurate. Personally I wouldn’t eat fish from any river that flows through a large city.