Respected Contributor

Re: Burger King employee caught using Mop on Tables

[ Edited ]

I think anyone who eats in a fast food restaurant is likely aware that the staff is usually young and hygiene is not a priority. I'm sure I've been exposed to multiple scenarios of bad cleaning and food handling practices. It's probably more nauseating to me than harmful because I haven't been deathly ill. However, I do take precautions, the number one being to never set any of my food (in wrappers) or utensils directly on the table. I keep everything in the paper-lined tray or in the paper-lined basket and place my utensils on napkins--always. Even in places like Applebee's I never set my utensils on the table.

I too have witnessed the dirty cleaning habits and have seen towels go from table to table without a disinfectant cleaning. The tabletop is probably dirtier than the floor from people's coughing, sneezing, unwashed hands, and dirty rags as well as the germs left by cell phones that seem to grace every tabletop. The cell phone is one of the worst germ-laden things we handle every day. And in restaurants it's the table-side salt and pepper shakers that are handled by everyone that have the most germs.

Now I don't ever want to eat out again...lol...

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom   i am sure it is not the only gross thing that happens at all Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Sharke:

Same around here.

I really do believe it depends on the area....

In our area, I hear about and see huge employee turnovers just about everywhere. 

'Help wanted' signs everywhere. 

Even p*stal employees, from what they've been saying. 

Even though, they are all very nice.  Lots of part-time, nice individuals.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

in the office  the same person cleans the restrooms and the coffee area. 

I have no idea if it's a separate cloth to clean the Keruig. 

Luckily I always have had coffee at home, never in the office.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I think anyone who eats in a fast food restaurant is likely aware that the staff is usually young and hygiene is not a priority. I'm sure I've been exposed to multiple scenarios of bad cleaning and food handling practices. It's probably more nauseating to me than harmful because I haven't been deathly ill. However, I do take precautions, the number one being to never set any of my food (in wrappers) or utensils directly on the table. I keep everything in the paper-lined tray or in the paper-lined basket and place my utensils on napkins--always. Even in places like Applebee's I never set my utensils on the table.

I too have witnessed the dirty cleaning habits and have seen towels go from table to table without a disinfectant cleaning. The tabletop is probably dirtier than the floor from people's coughing, sneezing, unwashed hands, and dirty rags as well as the germs left by cell phones that seem to grace every tabletop. The cell phone is one of the worst germ-laden things we handle every day. And in restaurants it's the table-side salt and pepper shakers that are handled by everyone that have the most germs.

@SunValley. Yeah, my BIL won’t touch or use any condiments on the table.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I've seen little kids stick their fingers in the glass ketchup bottles and one even licked the top of the jar. Yuck!

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I've seen little kids stick their fingers in the glass ketchup bottles and one even licked the top of the jar. Yuck!

@SunValley  I believe it! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Restaurant workers who do stuff like that are not confined to fast food places.

Respected Contributor

Well, with the messes some people leave behind on tables these days, a mop is probably a pretty good choice!

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

Thats super disgusting but yep not surprising. Im guessing its the same mop used around their toilets...😫

Here’s what I’m not getting. Health depts know that a rag, sponge, whatever is a germ spreader. Why oh why aren’t public eateries required to use paper towels on surfaces that are sprayed with the table cleaner??? Everytime I see that nasty rag swiped across a table I will be eating at I just cringe. Yep,I carry lysol disposable wipes and When we do eat out which is not often, I do my own swipe on that table. 

Hand me my spray bleach bottle...