Respected Contributor

Does anyone have this problem (situation)?

For some reason there is a massive invasion of wild rabbits in my neighborhood. They're cute and all that (and eat a lot of weeds) but lately there's a new development: bunny burrows. My yard is riddled with them; nowadays I have to be very carefulwhere I walk because I'm afraid of catching my foot in one and breaking an ankle.

I don't leave food or any other attractant for them; the little so-and-so's just show up.

Respected Contributor

My daughter is out of town on training and said there are bunnies all over by her hotel. She is in Kentucky,

Honored Contributor

The "bunny trail" must end in your yard.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   Are you sure they are not gopher holes?  They usually burrow out in the open & yes, you have to be extremely careful when walking around on your lawn. 

Rabbits in my neck of the woods burrow within brushes/bushes to have & raise their babies.  They do not burrow out in the open.

There are hawks & other predator birds that keeps the rabbits population under control.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

My daughter is out of town on training and said there are bunnies all over by her hotel. She is in Kentucky,

How does the hotel deal with them?

Respected Contributor

We are in SE VA and our local news did a report on the massive number of bunnies this year.  It was suggested that our mild winter may have contributed to the large numbers of them.  It was also stated that rabbit populations tend to go up and down and that a single pair of bunnies can have over 100 bunnies in a very short time.  

Honored Contributor

Yes they are all over the place. The guy next door had them in cages in his house. When he could no longer deal with them he let them go in the neighborhood so now they are all over??? They like to go under our shed. I told DH he needs to fix it so they cannot get under it? They do try to dig holes in the yard to put their babies in. We fill them back with dirt. They are not tearing up our yard. DH finds them when he mows. Babies were in one he was mowing over until he found out. They also put their babies in our garden beds. They need to go some place else. We need to mow.

There are babies in the backyard now. There's always a runt in the litter. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten   Are you sure they are not gopher holes?  They usually burrow out in the open & yes, you have to be extremely careful when walking around on your lawn. 

Rabbits in my neck of the woods burrow within brushes/bushes to have & raise their babies.  They do not burrow out in the open.

There are hawks & other predator birds that keeps the rabbits population under control.

@Mz iMac 

You know where the goper holes are when they come up they leave a mound of dirt. I was looking out the window one day only to see a pile of dirt in the yard. It dawned on me gophers. As I watched it came out of the hole. I wanted to smack it but by the time I got out there I'm sure it heard me & went under???

Honored Contributor

We now have no bunnies in our neighborhood.

I have seen a fox pracing up the street with a baby bunny in his mouth. And a neighbor's cat, eating the Momma bunny. And the cat also killed one of her babies but did not eat it. Just killed it an left it on the neighbors lawn.

Not sure how many foxes are in the neighborhood. Have not seen any kits yet but sure there are some around.

That is all you need a fox or two and a cat. It will kill all the bunnies.

Honored Contributor
We sometimes have gophers from the empty field next door. I refuse to hurt them.