Honored Contributor

Re: Building explosion in NY

On 3/26/2015 Autumn in NY said:
On 3/26/2015 I am still oxox said:
On 3/26/2015 Autumn in NY said:

Thanks MJ. I'm a little nervous right now because someone very near and dear to me lives in that area.

My Dad grew up on St Marks between 1st and A

Small world.

I am glad your friends are safe, I am sitting at my Dads watching the news its very sad indeed

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Thank you everyone.

Honored Contributor

It's a miracle no one was killed. I hope everyone recovers quickly.

It's scary because so much of the underground pipes are so very old, I guess if even if you turn off the gas to a house/building, it could still be seeping out under street level and ignite.

Prayers to the firefighters, too!

Respected Contributor

I have a good friend from college who lives at St Marks Place and I hope I hear back from her by email soon.

I read on Huff Po that it was probably a boiler explosion such as the one last year that killed 8 people (? a lot of people) in Harlem a year ago.

Honored Contributor

Apparently the smoke was evident even in midtown, my brother smells it near Grand Central yet my DH did not smell it down near city hall

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

My nephew works on 7th Street, very near the intersection with 2nd Avenue. It was the worst 45 minutes of my life today when we couldn't get ahold of him. He's fine. Rattled, but fine. He said they felt the explosion before they heard it and then debris started raining down on the skylight in his office. It'll be several days before they'll be able to return to the office.
Esteemed Contributor

Local News: Police now confirm two unaccounted for in East Village disaster.

Honored Contributor

My son e mailed me and said that 2 Avenues over (where he works as a grad student in an NYU science lab), they could smell the smoke all day yesterday. I was at the Macy's Flower Show yesterday which is further uptown and I couldn't smell any smoke when I went outdoors.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼