Respected Contributor

Buckingham Palace Renovations

I wasn't quite sure if I should put this video on this forum or the Home forum.  However, I thought since there are a few topics about the royal family, etc. already here, I would add this to them.

I was in total amazement of how they are redoing some of the rooms at Buckingham Palace and thought they could not pay me enough to remove the wallpaper the way they are doing it.  However, the plan is to refurbish it and then put it back up.

I found the video to be really interesting. It is only a little over two minutes.  I hope you enjoy it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3tBsMNYEWg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buckingham Palace Renovations

I can understand why they insist on restoring the wallpaper, however, it would be interesting to see their expressions if someone hung more modern designs in those old rooms.  There is just too much going on, between the busy wallpaper, furniture, chandeliers, artwork, etc., for my taste.  By the way, thanks for posting this.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing that. That is so interesting.

We were fortunate to be able to go through Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle. It was after the fire at Windsor Castle. And the Queen opened up the Palace and Castle to the public to raise funds so that Windsor Castle could be restored.

I am glad to see they are restoring the wallpaper. What a task that must be.

But when you go to the Smithsonian, for example, and see the painstaking work that goes into restoring historical items. You appreciate all their patience and work.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for sharing. That is amazing. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can't wrap my head around cleaning such a room let alone restoring parts of it.

Super Contributor

Since my BF and I watched The Crown, we can't get enough info about the Royals. I loved every room that we saw in the 3 seasons we watched. We watched Queen Elizabeth at 90 on Netflix. We both loved every minute of it, and wanted more. I never had much of an opinion about the Royals, good or bad. Now, I have so much respect for QE and all she has gone through in her life. 

Esteemed Contributor

What a tedious job!  

Esteemed Contributor

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Respected Contributor

@hellodali  it will be so interesting to watch the progression of this.  the Queen is doing her part to preserve English history.

Honored Contributor

Oh my word!  I would be terrified that I would tear that wallpaper.  No way would I want that job!   Thanks for sharing that video.  Loved seeing the room.