Honored Contributor

Re: Bryan Kohberger indicted for murder.

[ Edited ]

The "death penalty" that those four innocent college students suffered was pretty barbaric, too.  No coming back from that.  Irreversible.

Yes, by all means, he deserves his day in court.  But if it's proven beyond any reasonable doubt that he committed those heinous crimes, I see nothing barbaric about the death penalty.

His victims suffered much worse and their families will live with the horror for the rest of their lives.  At least, if he received the death penalty, the families wouldn't have to suffer from countless appeal hearings, then hearings for parole over the years - having to relive it all again.  They deserve everyone's compassion, much more so than whoever did this.

Respected Contributor

They can't unring that bell. Unless they were living in a cave at the time, everyone has heard about this quadruple murder case. It will be next to impossible to find totally unaware jury members; they can just tell the court they will not let what they have heard in the media effect their verdict.

Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Duh.

Honored Contributor

I can't help thinking that he might have had outside 'help'.

I know,.....no evidence suggesting this.

But, still.........it's been on my mind.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

The "death penalty" that those four innocent college students suffered was pretty barbaric, too.  No coming back from that.  Irreversible.

Yes, by all means, he deserves his day in court.  But if it's proven beyond any reasonable doubt that he committed those heinous crimes, I see nothing barbaric about the death penalty.

His victims suffered much worse and their families will live with the horror for the rest of their lives.  At least, if he received the death penalty, the families wouldn't have to suffer from countless appeal hearings, then hearings for parole over the years - having to relive it all again.  They deserve everyone's compassion, much more so than whoever did this.

@Venezia  There are 8(?) inmates on death row in Idaho. They have been waiting execution as long as 20 years. Granted some executions were delayed for lack of chemicals; thus the reintroduction of the firing squad effective this July.

Average stays on death row range from 10 to 20 years and sometimes longer in death penalty states.

Executions do not happen overnight. The heartbreak for these families will go on during appeals while he is in prison. Also from what I researched it will take only one juror to vote against death in Idaho.

Anything could happen to change the course and in the meantime these parents still live knowing he will also live for a very long time.

I don't think anyone here does not feel deeply for the families, whether advocates for the death penalty or not.

I responded to that post with some stats but I did not use the term "barbaric", to clarify since that poster was not tagged.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

@ROMARY  Interesting pov because when this happened there had been some speculation he was not alone.

First we discussed someone hearing him saying "I'll help you" and then when he was arrested asking "Was anyone else arrested?"

I don't know if either statements were ever verified.

The evidence has certainly been enough for his arrest and indictment so we will have to see if anything else comes up during the trial.

"

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Did any of you watch Dateline last night? They (once again) profiled this case, but actually added some new info.

It was said that after the drive home to PA w/ his dad for Christmas, Bryan acted strangely while in the family home, and constantly wore gloves.

An 'insider source' claimed that one of his sisters was suspicious, and even wondered if her brother was the killer of the 4 students.

She flat-out said so to the family, even bringing up the white Elantra. His dad responded that he didn't think that Bryan could do that....

So, it was not such a surprise to the family when the police came.

What Bryan (probably) did was heinous, cruel and vicious. The heartbreaking murders of 4 innocent people! Those acts demand just punishment.

But still, my heart weeps for him too; awkward, socially rejected, friendless, etal.

Could his path, and the paths of others like him have been changed by anyone along the way?

“And as a single leaf turns not yellow but with the silent knowledge of the whole tree.”

Khalil Gibran

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

@ROMARY  Interesting pov because when this happened there had been some speculation he was not alone.

First we discussed someone hearing him saying "I'll help you" and then when he was arrested asking "Was anyone else arrested?"

I don't know if either statements were ever verified.

The evidence has certainly been enough for his arrest and indictment so we will have to see if anything else comes up during the trial.

"

@Cakers3 @ROMARY 

I read that one of Kohbergers professors was an expert on serial killers with a particular interest in Dennis Rader/BTK. Rader was also a criminal justice major but dropped out and went into the military. When he was arrested he also made the statement" Was anyone else arrested? He thought it would be handy for creating doubt. Finally he plead guilty and confessed so no trial.

Honored Contributor

I watched it.

It was primarily speculation by professional profiles since, because the Grand Jury testimony is sealed, there was nothing much new.

What the sister or father may have said wasn't in anything that was released to the public and neither gave a statement or were interviewed on the show.

Bryan appears to be on the Autism spectrum so his behavior can't be judged in the same way as those who aren't.

I was disappointed that obvious questions weren't asked.