Trusted Contributor

Re: Bryan Kohberger indicted for murder.

@Marp wrote:

@walkingal,  Latah County Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall issued the sweeping gag order, barring attorneys, law enforcement agencies and others associated with the case from talking or writing about it. She later broadened it to also prohibit any attorneys representing survivors, witnesses, or the victims' family members from talking or writing about the case.

The gag order has been challenged by "multiple news organizations.  The defense attorneys have petitioned the Idaho Supreme Court to keep the gag order in place.

@Marp  Wow!  I didn't know that.  Wonder what that means.  There must be something they don't want to get out.    

Respected Contributor

Just a guess, maybe the purpose of the broad gag order is to preserve the upcoming jury pool, so nobody can say that a juror learned something from the media that would give cause to throw out the case or result in a hung jury

Trusted Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@walkingal,  Latah County Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall issued the sweeping gag order, barring attorneys, law enforcement agencies and others associated with the case from talking or writing about it. She later broadened it to also prohibit any attorneys representing survivors, witnesses, or the victims' family members from talking or writing about the case.

The gag order has been challenged by "multiple news organizations.  The defense attorneys have petitioned the Idaho Supreme Court to keep the gag order in place.

@Marp  Wow!  I didn't know that.  Wonder what that means.  There must be something they don't want to get out.    

It is not unusual for judges to impose gag orders in high profile cases. It is imperative that a fair and impartial jury be impaneled. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Respected Contributor

The death penalty seems like an easy way out for this criminal. Life in prison with no parole would be okay...as long as he is not allowed internet access or to write a book and make money from it. That's supposed to be against the rules but it seems to happen all the time. 

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

What a totally evil man.  Those poor college students and their families.  What he put them through.  Life in prison will be too good for him.

@Venezia 

I wonder if this case is the reason Idaho brought back the firing squad for the death penalty on March, 24, 2023.

@tiny 2  Interesting. I went to find out more and read it had to do with not having enough drugs on hand for a lethal injection .Odd that the state would not be prepared ahead of time.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I agree that the gag order does protect finding a fair and impartial jury. 

I feel so heartbroken for the parents and how hard it must be to remain silent now.😥

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

What a totally evil man.  Those poor college students and their families.  What he put them through.  Life in prison will be too good for him.

@Venezia 

I wonder if this case is the reason Idaho brought back the firing squad for the death penalty on March, 24, 2023.

@tiny 2  Interesting. I went to find out more and read it had to do with not having enough drugs on hand for a lethal injection .Odd that the state would not be prepared ahead of time.

@Cakers3 

I remember this was a problem for some states a few years ago and they had delayed executions due to the shortage.There was also a problem with the requirement that a physician be present or administer the drugs and most refused. Here in NC the law required that a physician be present but the Medical Board decided that they would face disciplinary action if they offer any assistance verbal or physical. There is an article in JAMA a couple of years ago called Lethal Injection and Physicians: State Law Vs. Medical Ethics that describes the many problems with it. deathpenaltyinfo dot org.It is long but a very informative article.

Honored Contributor

The death penalty is barbaric and once carried out it's irreversible.

The threat has resulted in those who are innocent confessing to crimes they didn't commit for life in prison.

They're have been people scheduled to be executed who have been found to be innocent. While the years they've lost can't be returned, at least they're alive to enjoy the time they have left.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2  Thank you for more information.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The death penalty is barbaric and once carried out it's irreversible.

The threat has resulted in those who are innocent confessing to crimes they didn't commit for life in prison.

They're have been people scheduled to be executed who have been found to be innocent. While the years they've lost can't be returned, at least they're alive to enjoy the time they have left.

@occasionalrain  Since 1973 at least 190 inmates on death row have been exonerated. It is also approximated that 4% of executed inmates were innocent. I could get into other stats but for now an error of one is too many.

Staying on topic - while evidence is strong against Kohberger he is still guaranteed his day in court, like it or not.

All this wishing prison justice or letting parents in alone with him-the feelings are understandable to a degree but we do not impose multiple punishment. If we go down that road the door for vigilante justice swings wide open.

I am against the death penalty, btw.