Respected Contributor

Re: Bryan Kohberger indicted for murder.

I hope that his victims' families get whatever justice they deem fitting for their losses.  

Personally, I think that the death penalty is an easier punishment than life in prison.

Honored Contributor

Seldom does a grand jury fail to return an indictment. The prosecution chose to avoid a preliminary trial, the question is why.

In the US, the accused is presumed innocent. 

Respected Contributor

Heaven forgive me, but I must say that death by a firing squad seems kinda awesome in this case.

Respected Contributor

Senior National Correspondent News Nation

Brian Entin twitter

*A grand jury has indicted Bryan Kohberger. Four counts of first degree murder. What that means is the grand jury reviewed evidence/testimony and found enough evidence to indict. That doesn’t mean they found him guilty. It means there won’t be a preliminary hearing and the charges move forward.

*I know it's confusing. This does not mean a jury found him guilty. It means a jury met and decided there is enough evidence for the case to move forward. There will now not be a preliminary hearing.

*"He has got pit bulls after him.” Idaho victim Kaylee Goncalves’s dad Steve says he will be at the Bryan Kohberger hearing Monday. He says other victims families are planning to go too.

*“If the evidence rolls out and this is the right person, then he has got pit bulls after him.” Steve Goncalves says he will be present at Bryan Kohberger's arraignment Monday: "We're gonna be there at every moment, analyzing every piece of data … to make sure that it is the right person and we hold them accountable."

KREM2

MOSCOW, Idaho - As the case moves forward, there is a new judge who has been assigned. When Kohberger appears on Monday it will be before  Judge - John Judge.

However, the case remains in Latah County with Kohberger's arraignment scheduled for Monday at the Latah County Courthouse. Kohberger will now appear in court on Monday, May 22 at 9:00 a.m. where he will likely enter a plea.

The grand jury indictment does not answer any questions about whether Kohberger will face the death penalty if convicted.

The prosecutor has not yet filed to seek the death penalty but still could before the trial gets underway.

Honored Contributor

I'm pleased and relieved to hear the parents want to be sure the right person is found guilty.

If the accused isn't guilty, the actual killer will get away with the murders and, not only will there be no justice for the victims, but an innocent person will become a victim as well.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Seldom does a grand jury fail to return an indictment. The prosecution chose to avoid a preliminary trial, the question is why.

In the US, the accused is presumed innocent. 

@occasionalrain 

He waived his right to a speedy preliminary hearing then it was scheduled for June 26. In the meantime the defense had subpoenaed the roommate Bethany Funke that was in the basement and did not see/hear anything and did not come out even once the bodies were discovered.( Her reactions were never made public). She now resides in Nevada and her attorney felt that it was inappropriate to have her testify in a probable cause trial since that was to determine if there was enough evidence to go to trial. The Idaho judge refused to dismiss & decided that she would have to come. I suspect the prosecutor had enough of the delay tactics and decided to go ahead with a grand jury that would also prevent the survivors from having to face Kohberger in a public preliminary trial. I think she has since agreed to meet with his attorneys.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

He should get the death penalty ( legal in Idaho, either by injection or firing squad under certain circumstances).

Maybe give him the choice, then give him the opposite.

Trusted Contributor

I feel they're still not sharing a lot regarding this case.  As far as I know, they have not shared interviews or any information with the two surviving roommates.  The parents have seemed to become silent with the press.  All very interesting.

Honored Contributor

I believe the death penalty should be an option in some cases, and, this is one case for sure!

Esteemed Contributor

@walkingal,  Latah County Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall issued the sweeping gag order, barring attorneys, law enforcement agencies and others associated with the case from talking or writing about it. She later broadened it to also prohibit any attorneys representing survivors, witnesses, or the victims' family members from talking or writing about the case.

The gag order has been challenged by "multiple news organizations.  The defense attorneys have petitioned the Idaho Supreme Court to keep the gag order in place.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.