Contributor

You are right about "Little Italy", it was on Arthur Avenue. Not to far from Fordham University. I used to go to their dances there on Friday nights. What great memories I have of the Bronx

Esteemed Contributor

Wave Hill
West 249th Street and Independence Avenue, 718-549-3200

This breathtakingly beautiful 28-acre public garden and cultural center is free to visit all day on Tuesdays, as well as from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturdays. Hailed as one of the most stunning views in New York, the gardens and its various art exhibits overlook the Hudson River and the Palisades. [All ages]

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Historic House Trust of New York City

Explore one of the Trust's 22 historic sites across the five boroughs and you'll be taking a virtual walk through time. Step foot inside everything from a modest farmer's cottage to a luxurious, grand mansion, all while getting a taste for what life was like in the city a hundred or so years ago. Among the Trust's Bronx highlights are the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage but it is currently closed for restoration. There is a Poe Exhibit, "Edgar Allan Poe -The New York Years," at the Valentine- Varian House, located at 3266 Bainbridge Ave at East 208th Street, please contact them at (718) 881-8900 for more information. The Van Cortlandt House Museum, a plantation home where George Washington is known to have stayed at least twice around the time of the Revolutionary War. [2-4 years; 5-8 years; 9+ years]

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

I wonder if the Loew's Paradise is still on the Concourse.  Of course, there was Alexanders.  Ahhhh, memories....

RKO Chester at West Farms Square too.  

Then there was the Loew's American in Parkchester.

It's all coming back to me

Oh wow you and I were neighbors too.  Evander  used to hold their graduation at the Lowe's Paradise.  I don't think we'd recognize Fordham Rd. anymore  nor the Square.

Jamma

Respected Contributor

thank you, everyone

Esteemed Contributor

@Jamma  I am from the East Bronx.  Went to P.S. 47, then Herman Ridder JHS, then James Monroe, then Hunter.

When I look for my childhood home on google-earth, it brings back so many memories.  I lived there from infancy to the day I got married.  Then, I moved to my own apt., within walking distance to my parents.  I used to walk there almost every day with the baby carriage.  One baby in the carriage, one toddler sitting in the seat.  Then, I started to drive.

Did you ever hear of Fteley Ave.???

Respected Contributor
You might want to be more specific where in the Bronx they will be staying in during this meeting.. they are not all safe areas. The Bronx has changed from Yesteryear..
Esteemed Contributor

@KKlim wrote:
You might want to be more specific where in the Bronx they will be staying in during this meeting.. they are not all safe areas. The Bronx has changed from Yesteryear..

So true.

Trusted Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@Jamma  I am from the East Bronx.  Went to P.S. 47, then Herman Ridder JHS, then James Monroe, then Hunter.

When I look for my childhood home on google-earth, it brings back so many memories.  I lived there from infancy to the day I got married.  Then, I moved to my own apt., within walking distance to my parents.  I used to walk there almost every day with the baby carriage.  One baby in the carriage, one toddler sitting in the seat.  Then, I started to drive.

Did you ever hear of Fteley Ave.???

I went to P.S. 47 also then on to Evander Childs H.S. Never heard of Fteley Ave.  Did you know where Thieriot Ave. was?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jamma  Is Theriot near Soundview and/or White Plains Ave/Rd?  My doctor lived on White Plains Ave or Rd.  

Fteley Ave. is parallel to Croes, St. Lawrence, Melcalf, Beach.....  Wasn't 47 on St. Lawrence or Beach Ave???Have you ever googled it.  It looks exactly the same.  Those two big front doors and the stairs leading up to the yard where we stood in line until the bell rang.  LOL - memories.......