Respected Contributor

Sorry to hear about that.  You figure out how to do most things pretty quickly.   Didn't the hospital give you a cast protector?  I broke my wrist about 10 years ago, they gave me a plastic sleeve to protect the cast and I promptly lost it somewhere between the ER and my house.  So, I used one of those small trash can plastic bags and secured it with a hair scrunchi.  Taking a shower was no problem, I turned the water on with my good hand and got in the shower.   I had work out how to do my hair.  I'm fortunate that I have curly hair I chose to wear it naturally.  I don't, never have washed my hair every day.  My husband shampooed my hair for me every 4 or 5 days for me.  Daily, when I was in the shower , I would just quickly dunk my hair under the shower to get it nice and damp.  Then I would one-hand squeeze it into a paper towel.  Then I rubbed some leave in conditioner in it, finger combed it and put a headband on it.  It worked.  It had to.  Combing, brushing, setting on rollers, blow drying; all that stuff just wasn't possible.  I never take tub baths but even if I did, I wouldn't have with one arm.  I was afraid of slipping in the tub.  So, I put a hand towel down in the tub and I would stand on that for traction.  I didn't use any shower gel or anything slippery.  I'd put the shower on but not full force, step under it rub a bar of soap on my body and rinse off.  It worked, got the job done.  Be careful getting out of the shower.  Sometimes I would call hubby for help but usually, I just hung on to the shower curtain.  We had very low tub so I didn't have much of a problem.   

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

The hairdresser I go to will wash and style her customers hair for free if something like this happens.  Many hair places do this

For free...why?   I'm sure any hairdresser would wash and give you an easy to care for style, plus some styling tips that easy do one handed.  But, I don't think they would do it for free. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Broke my arm.

[ Edited ]

@chihuahuamom

So sorry to hear about your arm.  OUCH!

I broke my left arm right above the elbow a few years ago.  My orthopedist gave me one of the arm casts others have recommended.  I saved it, but hope I NEVER have to use it again!

A hot air styling brush got me through the 8 weeks it took to heal.  Fortunately I'm right handed.

I wish you a very quick recovery!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: Broke my arm.

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Pook wrote:

The hairdresser I go to will wash and style her customers hair for free if something like this happens.  Many hair places do this

For free...why?   I'm sure any hairdresser would wash and give you an easy to care for style, plus some styling tips that easy do one handed.  But, I don't think they would do it for free. 

@Chrystaltree2

You are mistaken.  My stylist washed mine (no charge) while my arm was broken.

Why?  Because it is a kind, considerate thing to do - classy, don't you think?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about your broken arm.  Hope you are on the mend and are pain free.   Two years,ago I had a complete shoulder replacement and my doctor recommended Glad Press n Wrap.  It worked very well.  The good thing was that it was found in the local grocery store.  Inexpensive and convenient made surgeries easier.   Used it on open wounds, stitches etc and has no trouble.   Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@Chrystaltree2

You are mistaken.  My stylist washed mine (no charge) while my arm was broken.

Why?  Because it is a kind, considerate thing to do - classy, don't you think?

Mine did not charge me either.  They even offered to send someone to my home. 

Honored Contributor

After a couple "tries".......I managed to do everything with one arm.    Takes a little practice is all.    Good luck!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

thanks everyone. i discovered that the plastic bags newspapers come in works well. washing my hair may be another story because it is long,  i tripped over a curb thing falling flat on my face. broke 2 bones in left forearm, it will require surgery and yes, i am a pianist.Cat Sad