Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Broadway Remaining Dark Extension

[ Edited ]

I, too, am very hopeful Broadway theatre will return.  To my way of thinking, once this nation gets its positivity rate down to what is normal for any other influenza outbreak, we will no longer be fearful.

Yes, it could take a while, but time passes and pain and fear fade.  It is human nature. 

It is also human nature to find expressions of joy.  To find happiness.  For some reason, joy derived from entertainment is often amplified when shared with an audience.  Think of the times that the audience's enthusiasm has had a positive effect on your enthusiasm, causing you to scream (happily) louder or clap harder.

This goes for sports events, too.  

[After writing this, I remembered what happened at the last Bruce Springsteen concert I attended.  Two young woman were seated to my immediate left, and I foolishly tried to keep up with all their movements that they made when standing and dancing to the music.  It was a divine experience, but then all of a sudden I became very winded and worried about my well-being.  Yes, I had a fabulous time but nearly croaked having it.  LOL] 

Honored Contributor

very sad.....had already paid for our broadway across america tickets for the 2020/2021 season last february so i suppose we will begin getting refunds. that is what they did during the springtime. you had a choice to put it towards next years shows, a refund, or donate your ticket costs.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I was thinking the same thing. They should postpone e the awards until Broadway is up and running again, I have a former student who is now living in NYC and was singing in a popular musical there. She has been there three years....and has had to move back home. Simply can’t live there with no job or benefits now.
Esteemed Contributor

I feel for all the employees and owners of the theaters. They will have been closed for over a year from the start of the virus. I don't know how they can afford to come back unless a miracle occurs. Many of the theatre audiences may still be fearful to sit in a full house. Just so very sad for so many struggling financially during this virus.

Esteemed Contributor

The new timeframe may complicate a clutch of show that had planned to open in the spring, including “The Music Man,” “Flying Over Sunset,” “Caroline, or Change," “Plaza Suite,” “American Buffalo” and “The Minutes.” Within hours of the announcement, the musical based on Michael Jackson, called “MJ,” pushed back its performances to September.

Honored Contributor

And just think of all the other businesses that are affected by this.  Hotels, restaurants, ride sharing services, cab companies and on and on it goes.

Esteemed Contributor

The wonderful old Roosevelt Hotel (nearly 100 years) at 45th and Madison announced a few days ago that it will close permanently at the end of October, impacting 500 employees. 

Honored Contributor

It's New York, a dying city. It will take a lot more than just Broadway to bring it back. I totally understand why people are leaving, which is a fact.

Super Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The wonderful old Roosevelt Hotel (nearly 100 years) at 45th and Madison announced a few days ago that it will close permanently at the end of October, impacting 500 employees. 

I read about that @Johnnyeager. Too many sad changes. 😟

Valued Contributor

New York will always bounce back.  My husband and I went to Little Italy on Sunday for dinner and I was happy to see people frequenting the restaurants.  I love New York and it was wonderful to be back there.  I was pleasantly surprised that everyone had masks on, even just walking or riding bikes.  There is no energy like NYC.  My husband did go to his office in the theater district and that area is dead but not surprising because there are no shows now but there will be...just be patient.