Honored Contributor

Re: Britt Reid (KCC) 5 Year old Crash Victim Awakes From Coma

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

What disturbs me is that in today's day and age, with insurance, anyone needs to raise "more than $488,000 to help cover medical expenses." Insurance needs to cover that. Otherwise what do we even have it for?? That needs to be fixed.

@Porcelain  I am assuming the GFM was set up for medical expenses over & beyond the limits of Reid's auto policy.  I found the following on MO Dept Of Insurance........

"If you own or operate a motor vehicle in Missouri, you are required by law to insure that automobile with coverage for injuries you cause to another, for at least $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage. The Department of Revenue is now tracking drivers to make sure they keep their liability insurance policies in force. If you let your coverage lapse you will be subject to suspension of the vehicle's registration and possibly your driver's license."

It's obvious the medical bills will be astronomical.  The injured parties should be able to sue Reid directly.  Depends on MO auto ins law (suing the at fault party for bodily injuries if under insured).

I was referring to medical insurance. But I agree with you too.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Here is some additional information about this case from today's Washington Post: Reid has had previous DUIs and a history of drug abuse.  He wasn't qualified for the Assistant Coach job ( $400,000 yearly ).  Evidently, the timeline from day of accident seems to indicate that he started drinking at Kansas City Chiefs facility.  There has been no public release of his drug/alcohol test 10 days after accident: what is going on?

Trusted Contributor

She may need special care for the rest of her life.  If so, $488,000 won't come close to covering it.  

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

This is wonderful news. I'm glad she's recovering. I bet ol friend Britt is relieved as well, now that he's sober.

What disturbs me is that in today's day and age, with insurance, anyone needs to raise "more than $488,000 to help cover medical expenses." Insurance needs to cover that. Otherwise what do we even have it for?? That needs to be fixed.

@Porcelain 

I totally agree in general.

However, in this particular case I think it should be on Britt and HIS insurance.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Prayers being sent for this beautiful little girl.  Life some time brings miracles, and I hope for one for this angel.  May she be surrounded by love and the best of care.

I do trust that her medical expenses will be paid, one way or another.  At least this irresponsible drunken driver has deep pockets, and many people will also donate to help this child and her family.  Sadly, money will not likely give her the future she deserved.  Just breaks your heart.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz 

"He wasn't qualified for the Assistant Coach job ( $400,000 yearly )."

Nepotism icon_coffee.gif

"There has been no public release of his drug/alcohol test 10 days after accident: what is going on?"

I could tell you but, I will be banned.gificon_coffee.gif

When Britt lived in Philly, his drug of choice was herion.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Occasional Contributor

It is doubtful the prognosis for little Ariel can be given so quickly after she has awakened. She could make a full recovery or some issues could be chronic. Either way, the brain is an amazing thing...and it can do amazing things in recovering from injury.  Prayers continue for dear little Ariel. I know she will be improving with time. I hope the entire hosptial stay and other expenses are paid for by Reid. 

Respected Contributor

Brain damage can be ongoing for a lifetime...I hope this isn't the case for this beautifully girl and her family.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't see the need for a Gofundme page.  I'm sure the Reid family will pay for any expenses not covered by insurance.  I'm sure there will be a lawsuit and there will be a considerable settlement and rightly so.  I'm not a fan of gofundme. 

Honored Contributor

After the news of her 'waking' from her coma, the KC Police issued a statement:

"Ariel Young, the 5-year-old injured in a car crash involving the son of Kansas City Chiefs Coach Andy Reid three days before Super Bowl LV, is “breathing on her own but remains unresponsive,” the Kansas City (Mo.) Police Department said on its website Tuesday afternoon.

The brief statement also said the department’s investigation of the accident is ongoing.

Ariel Young, injured in accident involving Britt Reid, ‘has a long road to recovery’ - The Washingto...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.