Esteemed Contributor

Re: Brits vs American Language

My nan always says ""and Bob's your uncle"" which confused me when I was little because no one in our family was named Bob.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/3/2014 Lila Belle said:

My nan always says ""and Bob's your uncle"" which confused me when I was little because no one in our family was named Bob.

I didn't know what this meant for a while either when I was in Australia. They used to say it all the time. I still don't know how they got everything is all right from that expression still though. I gotta google that.

Poof is another one that took me a hot minute.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

""Fanny's your aunt"" and ""Bob's your uncle""- almost forgot about those...

Respected Contributor

Poppet - darling, sweetie.

Basically it's a term of endearment. Though, I think only young girls are referred to as that.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 6/3/2014 sidsmom said:

"After I get chatted up for awhile, I like to snog before I shag"...I'm sure that's something Patsy or Eddie would've said...who loves 'AB FAB'???!!!

I do!

There was also another show that was shown on Oxygen for awhile. This was about ten years ago. The crazy main character was named Kath.

Does anyone remember?

I had to look that one up...Kath didn't ring a bell. 'Kath & Kim' is an Australian comedy....is that was you were thinking? Funny, I'm sure!

The Dallas station, PBS-KERA, was the first American station to carry British comedies waaaay back in the early 70's, so when I moved here in '83, I was inthralled with the BritCom. Dawn French & Penelope Keith are 2 of my favorites...and 'Good Neighbors' is one of my fav shows. Love 'em all!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/3/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 6/3/2014 Lila Belle said:

I didn't know what this meant for a while either when I was in Australia. They used to say it all the time. I still don't know how they got everything is all right from that expression still though. I gotta google that.

Poof is another one that took me a hot minute.

I'm surprised. Poof is pretty much a universal slur. Not really cool to use.

Super Contributor

On 6/4/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

Poppet - darling, sweetie.

Basically it's a term of endearment. Though, I think only young girls are referred to as that.

I wouldn't say, "Oh, look at her, she's a poppet" about anyone over the age of ten, so it is only used in that context for young girls. But mostly it's used to say, "Be a poppet and [do me a favor of some kind]", in which case you can say it to anyone (male, female, old, young). It depends whether you say it about someone (young girls only) or to someone (anyone).

Honored Contributor

Daft and barmy = army.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/3/2014 brewhaha said:

I can't post their word for a cigarette.

Or the American word for wank. (I think that's how it's spelled...I've only heard it.)
Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

work it out = figure it out

jumper=sweater

car park=parking lot

ETA: bin this means throw it in the trash

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *