Esteemed Contributor

Re: British royalty

[ Edited ]

I disagree with the Meghan detractors who continually trot out the "She knew what she was getting into" chestnut.

No, I don't think she imagined the magnitude, scope and power of the negative press until she "got into it."  It's that way with a lot of things in life.  You observe from the outside until you're thrown into the reality of it.  

And I think Queenie will be able to do quite well without them  She has lots of help.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Incandescent with rage."  Wow, that's some good writing.

Esteemed Contributor

Harry is very wealthy so I don’t see why they have to work toward financial independence. They already have it if they want it.   This was being planned for a long time imo, and they did have a Hollywood pr firm hired for quite a while.  My guess is they want to capitalize on the royal name and head some for profit charities and draw large salaries from them.  And I bet they want to keep their Frogmore home in the UK.  The palace was right that it is complicated.  

The home they they stayed in when in Canada was enormous.  I wonder if they will purchase it.  

Respected Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

It will not be easy for Harry and Meghan to do as they please. How will they gain financial independence? Will Meghan return to acting? Will Harry become a Canadian Mountie? Will they forego their very expensive security protection, leaving them even more vulnerable to paparazzi...and worse?

I have some sympathy for the Queen but she is trying to uphold, maintain, and defend a system that is beyond archaic. Just one insignificant example is the code for women, e.g., must wear pantyhose, no color in nail polish, must sit with ankles crossed. Is that what will maintain the monarchy in the face of Prince Andrew's scandal and now Harry's announcement? 

They are worth $45 million. I think they will be ok in the short term. I also read they are entitled to continuing security. Would be interested to know if Eugenie, Beatrice, Zara and Peter Phillips, along with the Wessex children also have state funded security. Also would be good to know if the other grandchildren pay rent for their residences.

Honored Contributor

I have always felt Harry grabbed on to Meghan, and not the other way around

I think it shows a measure of who he is ,that he did this behind the Queens back. she has been very good to both of them, and this was not a thing a person with ethics would do

I suspect Harry will go Hollywood and there will be book deals etc. I wish them well ,and think  Kate and William will do just fine without them

I feel sorry for little Archie. He doesn't have much family beside his grandmother Doria, on his mother's side. It looks like he might not get to know his cousins on his Dads side either

I think his birthright was sold for a mess of pottage

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry  Along the line of book deals, this is from the article:

they’ve made no secret of their plans to monetize and trade upon their status, from spending their six-week holiday “break” in a $14 million waterfront mansion in Vancouver — brokered by musician David Foster, who declined to say if the couple paid rent — to trademarking “Sussex Royal,” which will allow them to slap their brand on everything from clothing to books and magazines to anything you can think of,

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

With 40+ million in the bank and lifetime security personnel (as someone else stated) it should be very easy to live a life of quiet luxury just about anywhere in the world, if that's what they truly want.

My guess is the majority of British people will be happy to have three less people feeding from the public trough.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Queen didn't deserve this. I saw P Charles tell Harry and Megan to stand back, on a youtube videos. It was a foto op for senior Royals..Charles didn't say it nasty,his voice showed no anger..The mike accidentally picked it up. This was 2 days ago

I think that might have bent Harry out of shape, and prompted a delayed hissy fit. that person has had more in his life than most people could ever imagine.He was always a loose canon. I hope Meghan can cope with having 2 babies to care for

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The Queen didn't deserve this. I saw P Charles tell Harry and Megan to stand back, on a youtube videos. It was a foto op for senior Royals..Charles didn't say it nasty,his voice showed no anger..The mike accidentally picked it up

I think that might have bent Harry out of shape, and prompted a delayed hissy fit. that person has had more in his life than most people could ever imagine.He was always a loose canon. I hope Meghan can cope with having 2 babies to care for

In truth, we don't really know what the situation is. Everything that has been discussed here by posters and in published articles is speculation. It is possible the Queen knew this was coming, it is possible the Queen and Prince Charles were fully informed. Right now we're relying on tabloid trash like Piers Morgan and Daily Mail to claim they know the juicy details. It's just all unsubstantiated gossip

Honored Contributor
Their Sussex Royal brand will be a sham one if the Queen takes away the Sussex Dukedom she bestowed on Harry as well as their HRH. I hope she does. These two entitled, ungrateful spoiled brats epitomize disrepect.