Super Contributor

Re: British and American baby name trends

@SUHsE, or Archibald. My grandfather's name. "Archie".

Super Contributor

wrote:

I’m a Dietitian and one of the RN’s on the medical unit, is named Bertha🙃. She’s probably 30, and very pretty!

How do you name your child Bertha🙃🙃

Respected Contributor

Fanny (think Jane Austin)...enough said about that.

I have a highly unusual baptismal name (after my Scots maternal mother). Noone can spell it correctly, unless you are married to me, and you cannot imagine the mispronounciations!

I asked my mother what she was thinking when she was expecting. I dont use my 1st name socially.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I’m a Dietitian and one of the RN’s on the medical unit, is named Bertha🙃. She’s probably 30, and very pretty!

How do you name your child Bertha🙃🙃

I have two friends named Bertha and two named Thelma.  Both Bertha’s answer to Bert.  One Thelma goes by T and the other Cookie.  All were named after someone.

I had an Aunt named Effie....that’s a name that isn’t popular.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

When my daughter was thinking of names for her first (a girl, 5 y/o) - I suggested Emma, Elle, Olivia and a couple of others. She told me they were overused and she was tired of hearing them, lol.

She wound up naming her daughter Evangeline Grey (i asked who the heck has a name like that - I had not heard it ever). Fast forward 3 years and now she has twin girls named Vivienne Reid and Seraphina James.

All of their middle names are family related - Grey is my mothers biological birth name, Reid is her adopted last name and James is for her Pop Pop.   

I have a 5 year old great niece named Lucy (just because they liked it)  James ( her father's name).   I love the combo.   Both names fit her perfectly.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

When my daughter was thinking of names for her first (a girl, 5 y/o) - I suggested Emma, Elle, Olivia and a couple of others. She told me they were overused and she was tired of hearing them, lol.

She wound up naming her daughter Evangeline Grey (i asked who the heck has a name like that - I had not heard it ever). Fast forward 3 years and now she has twin girls named Vivienne Reid and Seraphina James.

All of their middle names are family related - Grey is my mothers biological birth name, Reid is her adopted last name and James is for her Pop Pop.

I like the choices your daughter made. I agree with her, those you suggested are overused. My name isn't common and for that I'm grateful. In school those with popular names had to add something or use a diminutive to distinguish one from the others.