Esteemed Contributor

Re: British and American baby name trends

I think that there are a lot more names than are on that list that are dying out. As i said in the Kim K baby thread, if I were young and starting a family now i would use the older first names for my children.

My husband and I each have one of the most popular first names from our eras. (His withheld time longer than mine.lol). In school I did not like it when many in my class had my first name (I went to a huge city high school with thousands of kids, my graduation class had 700 kids back then! The same school now has 500 graduates each year)

Anyway, my oldest granddaughter has my first name for her middle name (which makes me so happy). 

A lot of women are using their last name along with the guys last name in their babies full name also. That is something that was common many years ago. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

It's all subjective.  I feel a bit sorry for the children named after Hit movies. I have come to be unimpressed bythe name Bella/Belle  because of that.   I also know (and I kid you not) A Darth.  He just uses the initial D. and his middle name and never ever answers to Darth.  I prefer names that will not be duplicated in school grades. I wouldn't want to be the third Emma in class.

Honored Contributor

When I was young I never knew any other Dianes in school.  However as a 60 something woman I know tons of Dianes who are usually in my age range...it will soon be an old lady name.  I had thought that when Princess Diana was popular that there would be more named Diana or Diane but it seems to not have happened.

It is funny though the many names that are very popular particularly for girls now remind me of a much older generation.  My mother in law for example was a Helen and if she were alive today she would be over 100 years old.

Super Contributor

Hmm. Born in '51. Just remembered, many times in grade school I would be in the same classroom with 3 Toms. I even remember their last names, oddly.

A few years ago, a Brit friend said Mohamad (sp?) had become the most popular boy's name there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For some reason my name is one I've never heard of, nor have ever met.  Someone once told me they knew a person with my name in California.  I am from NJ.

When my sister was born, she was named Patricia, a beautiful but not rare name. 

Because it was so different I didn't use my name in my younger years, I shortened it to a more popular name.  But I have used it in my older years and still get "oh what a pretty name, I've never heard of it."  It is a pretty name and I wish my mother could know that I like it and use it now.

Oh . . . also, my middle name is Beverly, and my sister's middle name was Ann.  Go figure.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

One of my nieces named her son Aedan, pronouncing it the same as Aiden.  All she accomplished was the constant misspelling of her son's name for the rest of his life.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Hmm. Born in '51. Just remembered, many times in grade school I would be in the same classroom with 3 Toms. I even remember their last names, oddly.

A few years ago, a Brit friend said Mohamad (sp?) had become the most popular boy's name there.

The name Tom!!!! OMG, there are so many Toms in my family and extended family. When we're all together and someone calls Tom, all the heads turn. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think I'd go back to Edwardian times and do royal names.

Edward

Margaret

Elizabeth

Your Highness

etc.

Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

How about duplications of movie stars names?  A few Jennifer's there.  I don't think many of their names repeat do they?

Super Contributor

Can you seriously imagine naming some sweet infant, Horace?

When he’s 3, calling, “Horace, you get over here, right now”!

I’d be afraid the poor Child might grow up to be a Serial Killer😉🙃🤓