Honored Contributor

Re: British Embassy in D.C. Offering Congrats-Signing Gathering for Baby Archie

[ Edited ]

stevieb,

As one might expect, I have visited the Greek embassy several times.  On five occasions it was solely for business reasons, but other visits were to celebrate Greek Independence Day, March 25, when the embassy hosts its annual open house.

A couple years ago, the British Embassy had an event to celebrate British-American ties in aviation, but that was invitation-only.  I was not invited.

It is a pity that I have not taken advantage of the open houses that most embassies offer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much, MJ12!  Where did you find this?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Thank you so much, MJ12!  Where did you find this?

If you are on Twitter -  I just looked at the page for the DC British Embassy which is @UKintheUS and lots of fabulous pictures and articles are there.

Thank you for posting this - I did not know about it.

Honored Contributor

@golding76  I have to say, I too rarely take advantage of many, many events in the District, both at the embassies and elsewhere... Navigating DC, the traffic, parking and so on have almost made ventures into the city prohibitive and, as I'm sure you know too, public transportation presents its own set of challenges... 

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@golding76  I have to say, I too rarely take advantage of many, many events in the District, both at the embassies and elsewhere... Navigating DC, the traffic, parking and so on have almost made ventures into the city prohibitive and, as I'm sure you know too, public transportation presents its own set of challenges... 

Smiley Wink

@stevieb  true.  I told my husband that we don't take advantage of much here - that people who live across the country and visit DC once every few years see more than we do!

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 

This is a lovely idea.

I commuted to DC for 38 years and wouldn't consider going back for this, but, it's a nice thought.

Parking is likely non-existent, and traffic is always hectic.

Unless you are a real adventurer, or someone could drop you off, it might be something that takes a few hours!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People who do not live in this area or have never visited it do not know the horror of our traffic and parking situation.  The D.C. area now has the dubious recognition of having the worst traffic in the U.S.

And give us rain or snow!  All bets are off.

Last week, there was a lovely dinner in the social hall of my parish, but it was taking place in the late afternoon.

I screwed all my courage into one ball, as they say, and set out for this always tastefully done event even though it had been raining all day.  When I was on Route 66, I suddenly saw the line of traffic ahead of me had stopped, and I put the brake on.  Yes, I almost collided with the SUV in front of me, and I was at least nine car lengths behind him; I was skidding toward him.

Decided then and there to go home, but unfortunately my nearest exit was onto the Beltway.  Did that, missed my desired exit and was terribly upset by the whole thing.

A real horror for me!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 

I'm in Southern Maryland and have driven this area since 1973.  Used to travel up Indian Head Highway to get to Capitol Hill to work.  Hours were 9 to 6.  I was young and didn't know better.  It was always a long, long, day.

The first few months I was here, I drove down the up ramp to get off the Beltway more than one time.  It was a nightmare!

When we were younger, DH and I would venture into DC several times a month.  Kennedy Center, Warner and National Theaters, Constitution Hall and beyond.  While it was dicey, it wasn't as bad as it is now.

As you described, it is always an ordeal, traffic is in a permanent parking lot, accidents, chaos, locusts, frogs, floods Cat LOL

I've spent 2-3 + hours (one way) on the bus, in a car or van.  I had surgery just outside of DC once and was an hour late.  So were all the surgeons.  All stuck in the same traffic.

After all those years of commuting, I just lost interest in doing anything downtown.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Smiley Wink

@stevieb  true.  I told my husband that we don't take advantage of much here - that people who live across the country and visit DC once every few years see more than we do!

@Mj12  'In the day', I was in the city a lot, but it was a different world even just a few short years ago. Traffic was bad but not insufferable, parking was a challenge, but not impossible and everything worth seeing wasn't a huge ordeal, as it is now between crowds and security... Add in the fact that summer in DC is not for the faint of heart and that means our all too short springs and falls are the best times to 'sight-see', even for residents...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Smiley Wink

@stevieb

even the maryland area is getting so bad!

no way would i drive down to DC just to do this.

it took me close to three hours today to do a round trip trip to the airport from the baltimore area. traffic was insane.....friday night, raining on and off, and rush hour do not make a good mix!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein