Highlighted
Honored Contributor

British Embassy in D.C. Offering Congrats-Signing Gathering for Baby Archie

[ Edited ]

As I returned home a bit ago, I heard on a local D.C.-area radio station that the British Embassy will be hosting a card-signing (or whatever they are providing) to give folks an opportunity to congratulate the Sussexes on the arrival of Baby Archie Harrison M-W. 

Adorbs!

Part of me would like to go but the other part of me loathes traveling into D.C.

This is a lovely gesture celebrating the British and American roots of this child.

The event will take place on Saturday, May 11, but no time was given.

(In truth, I do not drive into D.C. any longer since even in my younger years I'd get lost on my own.  So, I have to pester others to take me to town now unless I am dropped off at the Metro and then go in. )  

Honored Contributor

Re: British Embassy in D.C. Offering Congrats-Signing Gathering for Baby Archie

That is cool, @golding76.  Such a rich heritage to share, the British/American one-- as Winston Churchill would attest (having an American mother--  Jennie Jerome-- and English father as well.)  He was very proud of his American roots.

Oh, I bet that reception would be so much fun.  Wonder what kind of tea they'll serve?

Honored Contributor

Well, you have a day to decide.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Proactive and curious as always, I called the British Embassy a few moments ago.  For those who are in the area and are thinking to go, the open house, as the rep on the phone called it, will be held from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

All will gather at the ambassador's residence, which is at the same address as the embassy -- 3100 Massachusetts Ave., N.W. 

Taking a cue from oznell, I inquired as to whether or not tea would be served.   The rep's response was that "about 10,000 people will likely show up."  So, I asked if that meant no tea served.  "I do not know," he replied.

If anyone goes, please report back to us.  It is supposed to rain tomorrow, and I am certainly not going to wait in the rain.  But I'd dearly love to go.

By the way, the phone for the option I selected rang at least 15 times before the rep picked it up.  Poor fellow.

Honored Contributor

@golding76,   Hope if any D.C. resident here should venture forth and go, they will report back here with the full skinny!

Honored Contributor

Good news about the weather.  The possibility exists for PM rain only.  So, only cloudy skies to trouble timid souls like me.

Honored Contributor

This embassy holds an open house tour of portions of the embassy in the spring of each year. This year, the timing happened to conincide with the Sussex birth. What I gather they are offering is to ensure notes and letters of congratulation are relayed to the Sussex family. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Thank you, stevieb.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 The British Embassy in DC, located near the Vice President's mansion, is an impressive complex and the ambassador's residence is quite magnificent. It's unclear whether the residence will be included as part of the open house. I'd previosly understood it will soon be closed for extensive renovations and the ambassador is not at all happy about it, as the UK government, to this point, has not agreed to offer up what he views as a suitable substitute residence... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

While at the embassy, a replica red royal postbox will allow visitors to write and send personalized letters to the Duke and Duchess.

Capture.PNG