Honored Contributor

Re: Bright Spots in Dark Days

@Pandalady good thoughts and prayers to you my friend and all that are in Irma's path . . . stay safe!  Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A Boston chef and his wife were stranded on St. Maarten after Irma decimated the island and then members of the 105th Airlift Wing and 106th Rescue Wing arrived after helping out in Houston with Hurricane Harvey:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/09/09/i-thought-i-was-gone-what-its-like-to-b...

God bless our Armed Forces!  Heart

eta:  It's my understanding that both the NY Times and the Washington Post have dropped their paywall for hurricane coverage but if someone has a problem accessing this article and would like to read it just let me know and I'll post it.

Honored Contributor

LA fire department crews and boats spotted in Orlando ahead of Irma:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/906633788679086081

Honored Contributor

Two manatees saved in Sarasota Bay:

Michael Sechler shared this image of one of the manatees stranded in Sarasota Bay after "reverse surge" from Hurricane Irma pulled the water out of the bay. [Instagram]

A group of friends who went exploring in a nearly empty Sarasota Bay during the strange "reverse storm surge" effect of Hurricane Irma helped save two stranded manatees, the Sarasota Herald-Tribune is reporting.

The five friends posted pictures about the manatees on Facebook and noted they had tried to contact officials to save them to no avail.

The post flew around Facebook and caught the attention of the right people. Officials from both Sarasota County and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials helped get the manatees into deeper water, the Herald-Tribune reported.