Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

I would not give a gift card. 

For our wedding, our daughter's, our son's and any wedding I was in, a piece of jewelry was given to wear on the wedding day. 

I was in a few weddings myself and received jewelry to wear with the bridal fashions.  I have never worn the jewelry again for any other occasion.

Jewerly is a traditional gift, but probably just a one time item, just like the dress.

Super Contributor

"back in the day" when I was in weddings and was married the first time....

1) I gave each of my bridesmaids a sterling silver "bud vase" with the initial of their first name engraved on it - don't remember what my ex gave his groomsmen

2) one time I received pearl stud earrings that I wore for years - if the little girls have pierced ears, I think this would be a sweet gift

3) I was in a couple of other weddings and have no idea what I received!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

I would not give a gift card. 

For our wedding, our daughter's, our son's and any wedding I was in, a piece of jewelry was given to wear on the wedding day. 

I was in a few weddings myself and received jewelry to wear with the bridal fashions.  I have never worn the jewelry again for any other occasion.

Jewerly is a traditional gift, but probably just a one time item, just like the dress.

I'm sorry you were not able to use the jewelry again.  I always have as I've given or received classic pieces, a pearl bracelet, a gold bangle, pearl earrings and a small gold ball on a chain.

My daughter did receive some awful, huge fuchsia earrings that went with an equally awful, huge fuchsia gown.  I doubt she ever wore them again.

Respected Contributor

I would not give a gift card. A personalized piece of jewelry is nice.

This is $28.00 at David's bridal

Personalized Elegance Bracelet B9272

The flower girls who enjoy sports might like a cute top. Hanna Andersson has cute arts tees.

Esteemed Contributor

I think nice quality jewelry is appropriate like pearls, earrings and the posted bracelet is ideal for twins.  When our twins, were young many  would say "here come the twins" which they really hated as they had names, had separate identities but were identical...so something with their initial or name on a piece of jewelry separates them from each other....ours seemed to loved things with their names and initials 

Honored Contributor

No question for me, classic jewelry!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You should give us a price range, "not too expensive" doesn't mean anything.  I can say that bridal party gifts are usually items keepsake items.  Like jewelry, cuff links, money clips, silver plated hair brushes, vanity sets for the adults in the wedding party.   Often things that can be engraved.  No, gift cards are not appropriate for the wedding party.  If the little girls are into sports; I might go with silver charms that represent their particular sport.  They can wear them as pendants now and as a charm on a charm bracelet later in life.  It's a balancing act.  You want nice gifts that people actually want and that years from now, will elicit fond memories of a lovely shared experience.  For example, when I was teen ager, I was a bridesmaid in friend of the family's wedding.  It's been 40 years, we all lost touch with each other.  The bridesmaids got silver initial pins.  They weren't expensive pins but I still have mine.  I still wear that little pin occasionally and when I do, I remember the blue organza gown I wore and the flower in my hair and how beautiful and grown up I felt walking down the aisle.  For a second, I am instantly transported back to that lovely wedding experience and I think fondly of that young couple.    A $10 silver pin that I still to this day sometimes wear on the neck of a black turtleneck or on the pointy collar of a white button down shirt does that.  My own daughter was married a little over two years ago, she had just one flower girl.  She gave her garnet stud earrings (her birthstone) set in 10k gold.  The same earring in a sterling setting would have been much less expensive but just as much of a lifetime keepsake.  Come up with a budget and then think creatively.         

Honored Contributor

If the bridal party has laid out some cash, for certain gift cards and a token gift are the most appropriate.  It isn't like the olden days--people move around a lot and surely don't need stuff.  Young kids don't care about the things us older people valued as far as possessions.  And everyone enjoys some cash/gift card!  And may need it considering what wedding cost to attend now!  Yikes!

Honored Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

"back in the day" when I was in weddings and was married the first time....

1) I gave each of my bridesmaids a sterling silver "bud vase" with the initial of their first name engraved on it - don't remember what my ex gave his groomsmen

2) one time I received pearl stud earrings that I wore for years - if the little girls have pierced ears, I think this would be a sweet gift

3) I was in a couple of other weddings and have no idea what I received!!!

Yes!  I was in a wedding party once and we were given silver bud vases too, engraved with the bride and groom's first names and the date of their wedding.  I still have it and it's been 25 years, at least.  When we have guests staying with us, I always put a rose in it and place it on the night stand.  Things like that, we tend to keep for a lifetime.  When the bride gives us plastic pearls or rhinestone earrings to wear at the wedding; we wear them once and never even think of them again.  I was once in a cousin's wedding; a very expensive la dee da wedding and she gave the girls.....silver pendant chains.  Light weight, wimpy silver pendant chains.  And she didn't even give them to us until after she returned from her 3 weeks in Hawaii honeymoon...lol    After all the time, expense and emotion we put into her wedding and she gave us $10 throw away chains from a mall kiosk....lol   We were never close after that.  Wow....this whole thread has brought back some memories...lol    

Regular Contributor

Our daughters have given clutch purses to the bridesmaids with tissues and mints tucked inside.  Leaving room for a comb and lipstick. Etc.  some did not own a small handbag to use, but still use them today.  For the fellows, our son had a novel idea that cost only time and picture frames.  We contacted each groomsman's favorite sports figure and asked each to send us a personally autographed photo.  We purchased nice frames for a personal keepsake.  Of the seven professionals we asked, only two asked for $$ To be directed to particular disease foundations or organizations.  We contacted fellows from College Coaches, MLB, NFL and PGA players.  Bridesmaids and groomsmen loved their gifts because they were different than the usual gifts, and still have them twenty years later.  

Love the idea of the posted initial bracelet for the twins.  Terrific idea for Tweens.  Good luck on whatever you select.  Enjoy the wedding.