Trusted Contributor

Re: Brick and Mortar Shopping

I'm thankful many stores are still open and have plenty of stock where I am.  I have not stopped going to b&m stores throughout this.  I'm comfortable with it.  It hasn't been too crowded at all.  Grateful that those that need to get things online can, and those of us that still like to get out and find the stuff we need still can.  I have to pick my own groceries as much as I know there are those that have been happy with whatever the online shopper picks for them I can't do that.  I need to see the food items.  There are times I have ordered some needed items online that I couldn't find in any stores but other than that, I enjoy getting out.  Happy everyone can get what they need and can have their level of comfort and safety doing it!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I absolutely need to buy shoes and jeans after trying them on at a B&M store.  Through the years, the amount of shipping and return shipping paid to QVC for those 2 items is ridiculous.  I still get tempted, but will not buy those items here anymore.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't shopped in a brick and mortar store since the pandemic began. Everything that I need is available on line and 99% of the time with free shipping. I am retired now, and really don't need alot. Even when I do go out, most of what I get is drive thru or delivered to my car, so I am not inside the stores at all. 

I do miss going out to stores, especially to the Malls. I loved walking around, especially during the holiday season.

Edited to add: I am fully vaxed, including booster. Just too concerned about risk.

Honored Contributor

I have had all of the shots, wear a mask to make others comfortable, and shop brick and mortor any time I can, except I did order some gift boxes that were a better deal than walmart.

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

If this is a bit off topic, I hope you'll understand.  B&M stores are an integral part of maintaining quality communities in America.  They employ local residents, workers spend those paychecks right in their local neighborhoods.  B&M stores provide a greater tax base.  With fewer commercial businesses (and less tax revenue), municipalities make up that money elsewhere, they raise taxes on homes.  When there's less B&M stores there are less jobs and without jobs crime increases and communities begin to deteriorate

That's just a few ways B&M is critical to the towns and cities we all live in.  I believe we're all starting to see the negative effects of more ecommerce and fewer local businesses.  I support local B&M stores every way I can.  Okay,  rant over.

Eta- I completely understand shopping B&M less now due to Covid concerns. 

@decaf 

Yes, you nailed it....definitely a much more pleasant community to live in.  

Honored Contributor

Anything scented. Like candles or perfume. I can't know if I like it if I don't actually smell it myself.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I do not have a problem with shoes and clothing, but I do have a problem buying handbags online for myself.  I have purchased one handbag as a gift and it was a great bag.  But if I am going to carry a bag I wand to inspect and try on before I hand over my $$.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shoes

Fragrance

Mattress

Upholstered Furniture

Birthday Cards

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I can order online, I will. I use tried and true websites and avoid any site I don't know. While I've had my booster, only 52% of my state is even vaccinated. I have no desire to expose myself and accidentally carry it to someone else.

Trusted Contributor

Candles I prefer to buy in stores. I used to order them from Yankee, but the shipping is just crazy. They always are delivered, but they show up in boxes, upside down( even with the giant arrow on the box that says

"fragile. this side up" with melted wax oozing from the box....do you know how dang hot it had to have been in that truck for that to happen? Once I thought was a fluke, but after the second time I gave up. The Yankee stores have all closed here along with the malls where they were, so it isn't easy to find them now.

Also, unless it is a specific brand that I know will fit, I prefer to buy shoes where I can try them n first.