Honored Contributor

Re: Brick and Mortar Shopping

[ Edited ]

I prefer to buy most everything in stores except groceries, never liked grocery shopping, but shopping here doesn't compare to when I lived in Southern California and near NYC.  I was spoiled.

So, now I buy everything online...clothing and shoes from some of the stores I miss.  

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Other than food items, what do you prefer to shop for in brick and mortar stores instead of ordering online?

@On It Nothing.  I have no desire to go to stores now.  To me it is a total waste of time. 

Trusted Contributor

I always prefer to buy clothing and shoes in person.  I like to touch and look at the fabric and see the construction and I've been disappointed so many times buying these items online.

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Cars.

@Goldengate8361  Yesterday I saw a Nissan TV commercial and was kind of taken aback.  They're selling cars direct to the consumer, cutting out the middleman.  Maybe this is the beginning of a new trend, eliminating their network of dealers. I'm sure they'll be little savings for the consumer, just higher profits for them

Honored Contributor

I have never preferred to buy anything but grocery items at B & M stores!  Before the internet I purchased most things from catalog shopping and just hated having to shop in person wasting my time and spending more money impulse buying.  I found it boring looking for hours to find something and givng up long before finding what I want!  Then having to make another trip to return clothing items because I rarely tried on at store.  It is great now being able to buy shampoo, toothpaste, soap, paper towels, toilet paper, makeup, skincare, etc online.  I even buy some grocery items online.  Not getting in car, parking, standing in lines, loading and unloading vehicle.  Just open package and done.  My time was and is still more valuable.

Honored Contributor

I can only order one kind of shoes on line.  I found a particular sneaker that I wear and I have been purchasing it on line at Kohl's.  Any other footwear I would have to try on.  Same thing with pants, jeans -- any type of bottoms.  I have to try on.  Tops I can order on line without much problem.  I prefer to shop in real stores but that's not been an option and also our stores are dwindling. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If this is a bit off topic, I hope you'll understand.  B&M stores are an integral part of maintaining quality communities in America.  They employ local residents, workers spend those paychecks right in their local neighborhoods.  B&M stores provide a greater tax base.  With fewer commercial businesses (and less tax revenue), municipalities make up that money elsewhere, they raise taxes on homes.  When there's less B&M stores there are less jobs and without jobs crime increases and communities begin to deteriorate

That's just a few ways B&M is critical to the towns and cities we all live in.  I believe we're all starting to see the negative effects of more ecommerce and fewer local businesses.  I support local B&M stores every way I can.  Okay,  rant over.

Eta- I completely understand shopping B&M less now due to Covid concerns. 

Honored Contributor

Not wanting to go to stores, I've realized I really miss getting any clothes, shoes, hats, gloves, purses

at stores and I've found too that clothes online are mostly disappointing.

Plus it seems to take me forever to find and order things online, even more than going in person to the store!!

But, when the pandemic hit and my car died, there was no choice but to order online and amazingly, it turned out pretty great! They delivered my new car to me and picked up my old one to trade in. Pretty amazing!And me being very picky re the comfort of a car like this car the best I've ever had! a 2017 honda accord, 29,000 mi.At the time, cars were being bid on fast as houses today. I found one and it was gone in a second. I got another, in the nick of time, before anyone else did. Very new experience for sure.

A very strange new world.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I definitely prefer to support my own local businesses! I shop local anytime I can. Rarely big box stores, they don't need any help. I'd rather support the little people and my community friends. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

clothing, shoes, handbags, furniture, major appliances, cars, flowers and plants