Honored Contributor

Re: Breech Births...Is This Common Today?

My daughter was breech and the doctor was able to turn her around.  She stayed that way but I needed a C-section anyway because she went into distress during labor.

Esteemed Contributor

I was breach in 1943 and my son was breach in a 1988.  Son was C-section and no braces or problems post birth.

Valued Contributor

Hip and shoulder dysplasia is common in breech births.  The need for episiotomies are higher too.  

Most doctors elect to do a C section if the baby is breech.   Size of baby and mom matter in most instances 

Honored Contributor

One of my sons had hip dysplasia in both hips: double diapers was the first thing they did immediately after the C-section. He was not breech, however.

The few women I've known who have had breech babies, all had hip dysplasia and were double diapered at birth. Some went on to braces, some did not.

Honored Contributor

My middle daughter was breech and I was told so throughout my pregnancy. I had already had a C-section from my first pregnancy so her birth was already planned. She was five weeks early but had no problems after she was born. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@Bri21 wrote:

Hip and shoulder dysplasia is common in breech births.  The need for episiotomies are higher too.  

Most doctors elect to do a C section if the baby is breech.   Size of baby and mom matter in most instances 

Interesting. It must have been something they have noticed over the years. My mother said she never heard of any post-birth problems after she had me breech. The doctor never mentioned anything. It's good to catch things early if they can. Thanks for posting!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I doubt that breech births are any more common that they ever were.  Female anatomy and pregnancies haven't changed.  I believe with all the imaging procedures available now, a breech presentation is no longer a surprise for physicians...of the mothers.  Yes, my 54 year old brother was breech.  My mom always said he was wedged in, it was too late for C section and they pulled him out.  He was born with hip dysplasia and under went about 10 hip surgeries before he was 25.  He had a limp but did well until he was in his mid 40's and he had another hip surgery and now he lives in constant pain.  It's different now, of course.  Babies are still born with dysplastic hips but not all from breech births.  Todays surgeries are much better than they were 50 years ago.  I know that depending on the severity, they put babies in casts.  If the problem is too severe or if casting didn't work, they operate.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I doubt that breech births are any more common that they ever were.  Female anatomy and pregnancies haven't changed.  I believe with all the imaging procedures available now, a breech presentation is no longer a surprise for physicians...of the mothers.  Yes, my 54 year old brother was breech.  My mom always said he was wedged in, it was too late for C section and they pulled him out.  He was born with hip dysplasia and under went about 10 hip surgeries before he was 25.  He had a limp but did well until he was in his mid 40's and he had another hip surgery and now he lives in constant pain.  It's different now, of course.  Babies are still born with dysplastic hips but not all from breech births.  Todays surgeries are much better than they were 50 years ago.  I know that depending on the severity, they put babies in casts.  If the problem is too severe or if casting didn't work, they operate.  

@chrystaltree ... Wow...your brother really went through alot! They are talking about putting my little niece in a hard cast for awhile. Poor little thing is only 4 months old.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Yardlie

My friend had her first on May.  The couldn't get him to turn, so they took her for a scheduled C-section, a week before his due date.  He had to wear a brace 24-7, starting at 2-3 months.  I think it has been "corrected", but of course he is not at the walking stage yet to notice any problems with his gait.

Honored Contributor

A male born by a breech birth would be a son of a breech.