Honored Contributor

Re: Breathing in a face mask

[ Edited ]

@Tink814 wrote:

Back in March I had made a face mask out of some cotton fabric I had at home. I really stuggled to breathe in it and I figured the fabric was just too thick. I had been staying home and ordering groceries online. I'd like to be able to go out, so I ordered a mask from Etsy. The seller said it was breathable fabric. I tried it on and struggled to breathe again. In less than a minute I felt like my throat was closing up and I had to take it off. It took a while before I was able to take in a deep breath. Does this happen to anyone else? I really don't understand how other people are able to wear masks.

@Tink814 

You outta try recovering from a Heart Attack/Aspiration Pneumonia wearing a mask. Ice skating was/is my choice of recovering from injuries and illnesses, when able.

Back in 2005 I did so because my Pulmonologist and Cardiologist said: "If you don't do so, don't skate", period. So elevated heart rates were much more quick to rise.

Effort to breathe was much harder, but hey! That was part of my goal to regain my Cardio and the strength back in my legs. Did I ever get used to it? No, but I did get back some fitness long enough before my next serious health crisis.

If you don't have any Resiratory health issues? Maybe you just have to acclimate your body to wearing one. This IS NOT Medical Advice so do not take it as such. Thank you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I’ve had much better luck/comfort with the disposable masks.
Honored Contributor

@Tink814, I hope you become more used to wearing a mask. But do remember a couple of things: The masks available to us offer very little protection; they mainly protect others. Also, they can confer a sense of safety that doesn't exist; you still need to distance yourself and wash your hands often.

IMO, though, if you are over 65 and/or have health issues, you really are safer with home delivery.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

i still have some of those blue ones made for household...painting etc. I have a hard time breathing in them, but I can breath enough to get through the store and out to the car. Not sure if I could wear it much longer than than that, unless I wasn't moving, walking.

Valued Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza Received the masks you recommended from Etsy. They are so nice! Made very well, nicely pressed and fit perfectly!! Thanks again! I certainly didn't want some made in China!😲

Respected Contributor

The blue/white disposables seem like almost nothing to me.  They are now $0.60 at Walgreens.

I think masks will be a longterm essential.  Find ones that work for you.  The price for the masks may well come down after China finds out how to churn out billions of them.

Esteemed Contributor

As the weather gets warmer, compliance will be less.  I really think it will be very difficult to require a person to wear a mask in a gym unless your workout involves mild to moderate exercise or on a beach.   In my State, NJ, which is very hard hit, it is "strongly recommended" indoors.  The CDC "strongly recommends a "face covering" when social distancing can't be achieved".  I think we have to be sensible with "face coverings".  If you are on a beach and are 6 feet or more away from a person, it's not necessary but I'd have one nearby in case anyone approaches or merely use my towel to cover my mouth and nose.  Tho swimming is good for you, your chances of coming in contact in the water is greater and a mask or face covering is useless when wet.  

You don't want people dropping like flies in the heat because the face covering is hot and uncomfortable & inhibits breathing.  

Even during conversation, according to the CDC, droplets occur and become an aerosol and hang in the air 14 sec.  so if you're jogging or walking, you could walk into a mist caused by the previous person.  We just have to think about where we are, what we are doing and think about possible exposures and protect ourselves as best we can without jeopardizing our health in other ways. 

the same with gloves.  I see so many people with  gloves....I wear them at Super Markets and in common areas of our condominium.   If you don't treat  your gloves like your hands or skin they are useless.  Once you touch a high contact area like elevator buttons, the handles of a cart or the handle of a refrigerator in a supermarket, you may have touched a virus laden object.  People have a false sense of security wearing gloves.  Having been a nurse for 50 years, I know how to put them on, take them off or when they are contaminated.   Often, I see people adjust their glasses, fix their mask or talking on a phone, wearing gloves.....you've done more harm than good....it's nice you are wearing a face covering but you've created a serious risk by touching your face with contaminated gloves.  Same with hand sanitizer.....why..,.soap is cheaper and more effective....over use of sanitizer causes dryness of the skin and cracks, enter Covid-19.  Soap destroys the fat molecule in the virus, the handwashing, the mechanical motion sheds the virus and the running water rinses it off.  When you wash your hands, you cleanse the finger tips, the most contaminated part of your hand; you also should brush under the nails.  Why were people running to buy sanitizer when we were in lock down?   Sanitizer has its place, in your car, during public transportation, where there's no soap and water, but when you get where you are going, simply wash your hands and before you get there, just don't touch your face.  Gloves aren't protecting you just by being worn.  I see it over and over again....or people wearing the same mask or covering for days....I do reuse mine but spray it and put it under UV and depending on how long or where I wore it, I toss it after three days but that's if I just am in my building but super market masks get tossed.  Now that masks are available, I prefer a ask to a cloth covering 

pardon the rant but just be sensible and aware of your surroundings.....think about what you touch and your contacts.....

Valued Contributor

@05gage25 - I'm so glad the masks worked out for you!  By the way, even though there is no little pocket for a filter, I have been putting cut up pieces of paper towel inside right before putting the mask on.  Just a couple to fill out the space.  They stay in place. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

have had the same issue with breathing in masks.....they are saying not to ever put on children two or under because they can suffer due to lack of oxygen quicker than those who are older. I had my mask on the other day while at the grocery store and had to go to a back aisle, away from everyone, and pull my mask down so I could breathe better; then pulled it back up; it also makes my glasses fog up!
Valued Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza I have been cutting an inch wide strip of folded tissue about 5 inches long and using double sided tape, I tape it to the top edge of the mask on the inside to help with the issue of my glasses fogging up. I'll have to try your suggestion, too. I am so happy with these masks!! Thank you, again, for suggesting them!💕