Respected Contributor

Re: Breathing in a face mask

The first time I put one on I panicked and felt the same as you. I found that wearing it a 

little here and there helped me to relax about wearing it and get used to it. I'm also in a hot and humid environment so they do get warm. 

Contributor

Thank you all so much for your responses. I put the mask back on while I watched some QVC. It helped take my mind off it and I'm adjusting to the feeling of a mask on my face. Thanks for your suggestions! Heart

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have some 3M N95 masks I bought months ago before this whole thing blew up.  Really, only these masks made by 3M work with filtering out the virus and giving you some breathability.

I know they aren't available and are outrageously priced on ebay, but I think it might be worth for you to consider purchasing one especially since I believe masks are going to become routine for a very long time.  I've used the same one over and over and they can be sanitized with a UV light.

I have KN95 masks that are hard to breathe in, and I have some cloth masks that make me feel like I'm suffocating.  But the 3M N95 are the only ones that don't make me feel that way.

Honored Contributor

I've breathed much better in a paper mask.

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza -

Thank you for this recommendation!

I ordered some too.

Can you and others tell me how you wash them?

My daughter ordered some others and I washed it in hot water in the washing machine and air dried it and it did shrink. But Is it really clean if not in hot water?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only wear  my mask for shopping because I have to in order to enter the store to get groceries and also to enter my office and then it get's taken off . I wear it below my nose so I can breathe. Oh, and don't forget your eye shields and booties for your feet-hey they forgot to tell us about those.  LOL!

Murder hornet is coming.  Get ready for your next compliance of gear to wear.  QVC get on this !  LOL!Natural Cotton Medium / Large Professional Beekeeping Beekeepers Hat Veil for Bee Protection During Beehive Maintenance by Goodland Bee Supplyt!  Murder hornet is coming.  Next gear we will be required to wear.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tink814 wrote:

Back in March I had made a face mask out of some cotton fabric I had at home. I really stuggled to breathe in it and I figured the fabric was just too thick. I had been staying home and ordering groceries online. I'd like to be able to go out, so I ordered a mask from Etsy. The seller said it was breathable fabric. I tried it on and struggled to breathe again. In less than a minute I felt like my throat was closing up and I had to take it off. It took a while before I was able to take in a deep breath. Does this happen to anyone else? I really don't understand how other people are able to wear masks.

Yes, same here I find the cloth one I got from Etsy very hard to breathe in...i tried breathing in from mouth, nose doesn't matter...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You could be allergic to the fabric, or coating on fabric.  Many fabrics can be coated with  assorted chemicals to provide protection form insect infestation in shipping from overseas.  Also, to provide the fabric with a smooth coating to resist wrinkle.  Have you ever noticed that cotton especially looks so nice when you buy it.  Then after first washing it isn't as smooth and colorful.?

I had a friend back in the late 80's early 90's craft movement.  She made items for boutiques ad craft shows.  She would buy these cloth craft squares at Michaels to sew on quilts.  Twice she was sent by ambulance to ER with breathing problems, serious.  It was the second visit they put the craft squares and her allergenic response to fabric together. And gave her ephinepherine which helped her in a second.  They were made in China and probably coated with formaldehyde and another chemical I forgot name of!

Respected Contributor

I have just been using the disposable masks with the wire to adjust to the nose.  They can be a little hard to breathe in as we are not used to covering our God-given breathing apparatus.  (Nostrils and mouth if necessary).

I think the disposables may be easier to breathe in than the cloth.  If I were to wear cloth, I would want to wash in hot water after each wearing.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

You could be allergic to the fabric, or coating on fabric.  Many fabrics can be coated with  assorted chemicals to provide protection form insect infestation in shipping from overseas.  Also, to provide the fabric with a smooth coating to resist wrinkle.  Have you ever noticed that cotton especially looks so nice when you buy it.  Then after first washing it isn't as smooth and colorful.?

I had a friend back in the late 80's early 90's craft movement.  She made items for boutiques ad craft shows.  She would buy these cloth craft squares at Michaels to sew on quilts.  Twice she was sent by ambulance to ER with breathing problems, serious.  It was the second visit they put the craft squares and her allergenic response to fabric together. And gave her ephinepherine which helped her in a second.  They were made in China and probably coated with formaldehyde and another chemical I forgot name of!

I also thought it sounded like an allergic reaction.  I use a cloth mask and I washed it before I first wore it just in case there were chemicals on the cloth.  It could also be the dyes causing an allergic reaction.

I've also seen some masks being offered that are made of polyester (yikes!) and they would definitely be difficult to breathe in.  They need to be 100% cotton.  And for me, also free of dyes so I just buy white ones.