Contributor

Back in March I had made a face mask out of some cotton fabric I had at home. I really stuggled to breathe in it and I figured the fabric was just too thick. I had been staying home and ordering groceries online. I'd like to be able to go out, so I ordered a mask from Etsy. The seller said it was breathable fabric. I tried it on and struggled to breathe again. In less than a minute I felt like my throat was closing up and I had to take it off. It took a while before I was able to take in a deep breath. Does this happen to anyone else? I really don't understand how other people are able to wear masks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Breathing in a face mask

Try breathing through your mouth. When I start feeling stuffed up, I breathe through my mouth.

Honored Contributor

@Tink814 -

I've found that some are breathable and some really are not! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've never worn a cloth mask, although I've orders dozens of them since all this started.

I wear KN95s and have worn N95s.  They are *away* from your nose and mouth.  Maybe you need that type of mask as opposed to a cloth mask that is up against your nose.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tink814 :  I know what you mean about difficulty breathing.  If I'm in a store, on an aisle where I'm the only person, sometimes I'll slip it off one ear, just to take a couple nice, deep breathes.

Valued Contributor

I've been isolating since March, and haven't really gone a lot of places (my parents' yard, over to our public post office area in our complex to pick up mail, etc.). 

For those few times that I am in public in some capacity I wear a mask. 

What worked for me was actually a tip I read here! I had to acclimate myself to the mask inside my house and give myself time to get used to it. It took a few times of wearing it inside my home before I got comfortable enough with my breathing to wear it outside of the home. 

I had to continuously remind myself that the mask wasn't impacting my breathing--it was my reaction of anxiety that was. I am claustrophobic by nature and there is something about mask wearing that really brings that feeling home!

I'm ok with wearing them now, but it took a focused effort to get there. Best of luck to you!

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Valued Contributor

I have recommended this seller on Etsy before, and I got the recommendation from someone here on the boards.  Their masks are made here in the USA from 100% cotton.  They come with a metal bar on top that helps to make it a custom, comfortable fit.  My husband and I have no trouble breating with them on.

The seller's name is WaxtexUS.   I've ordered from them twice.  They ship quickly and are communicatiive and responsive to questions.   I tried other sellers, in my quest for quality masks, and no one compared.

I don't personally know the seller and don't get a commission.   lol

Check them out!

Honored Contributor

the bottom line........it isnt easy at all......at least not for me.

it isnt easy to stop touching your face either.

sometimes if no one is close by i do pull it away from my face a little and take some deep breaths. the second i leave a store it comes off.

i have been using surgical masks, cloth masks, and headband/bandanas.

i did buy these and they are not overly thick so it is a bit easier to breath through them.

headband .png

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I've noticed a few people wearing their mask right below their nostrils. Could it be they're having trouble breathing with it on! Do they think they just need to cover their mouth! 

Honored Contributor

I've ordered many surgical masks from ShopLC(--1st time buyer for many, many masks from them--thank you to whoever recommended them!)

The problem is, they aren't a tight fit for me on the sides so I can't wear them.  Plus I don't like that you can only wear them one time.  I wasted 2 just trying them on.  No go.  But they are good for the guys in my family.

They are extremely light weight so I can see how they would be good in extremely hot weather.  I've only been to the store 3 times and it was still a little cool out.

I may wear them along with another mask over top if we have this second wave (or have to deal with this forever).  That way I'll be double-y protected.....I hope!