Valued Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Breastfeeding in public?

I breastfed mine, but never ever in public.  While eating is a part of life, I felt breastfeeding was a personal experience, a bonding experience between mother and child.  So much research out there to support the benefits of breastfeeding, and as a mom I saw the positive results.  However, you can count me as one who is turned off by those who want to expose themselves in public places.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=8480

"Breast-feeding permitted -- Municipal ordinances not to prohibit or restrict -- Interference prohibited.

(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law, a mother may breast-feed her baby or express breast milk in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be. Breast-feeding a child or expressing breast milk as part of breast-feeding shall not be considered an act of public indecency and shall not be considered indecent exposure, sexual conduct, lewd touching, or obscenity.

(2) A municipality may not enact an ordinance that prohibits or restricts a mother breast-feeding a child or expressing breast milk in a public or private location where the mother and child are otherwise authorized to be. In a municipal ordinance, indecent exposure, sexual conduct, lewd touching, obscenity, and similar terms do not include the act of a mother breast-feeding a child in a public or private location where the mother and child are otherwise authorized to be.

(3) No person shall interfere with a mother breast-feeding her child in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be.

Effective: July 12, 2006
History: Created 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 80, sec. 1, effective July 12, 2006."

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

Wow, just wow!  Breast are not  sexual objects.  They are there to feed babies.  What has happened to us as a society that the very sight of breast feeding is considered gross, offputting and indecent?

---

Tell that to the dozen or so young men sitting and standing in front of me recently at a baseball game. The sight of a woman breastfeeding in the row below me definitely attracted their attention. Their comments were "interesting."

Our culture has without a doubt sexualized women's breasts.

As far as public breastfeeding is concerned, I am neither pro nor con; the circumstances can indictate whether or not it is considerate of those around you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  Breasts are sexual objects in our culture, like it or not.

Why else would women get breast augmentation?

Honored Contributor

The purpose or function of breasts might well be to feed, but quite clearly since time immemorial they have had a sexual connotation, have served as a focus of sexual attraction and that really shouldn't come as any kind of surprise to anyone... As for the subject at hand, I don't find the practice 'disgusting' but neither do I find it 'touching' or 'beautifu' and as for baby and mother 'bonding' I continue to feel such bonding is probably better accomplished out of the public eye...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Carmie  Breasts are sexual objects in our culture, like it or not.

Why else would women get breast augmentation?

Maybe for the same reason they get nose jobs or face lifts.

Honored Contributor

I guess if state law says it's okay in public, it's okay.  I prefer not to see it in public.

Honored Contributor

This isn't about fetishes, it's about manners. We don't look kindly on those with poor table manners nor women who call attention to themselves breastfeeding. It's a matter of consideration for others.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain  Yes, & some people say "If you don't like it, don't look -" well with that logic everyone could be nude in public because "if you don't like it don't look," thereby absolving themselves of any responsibility.