Respected Contributor

Re: Breastfeeding in public?

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Carmie There's the thing, either breasts are sexual or they're not. If they are, no one should expose them in public. If they're not, everyone should be free to expose them in public. We are arrested if they aren't attached to a child but if they are, feel free to flaunt them anywhere, anytime.

@occasionalrain

In this strange world we all inhabit may people have sexual fetishes and stragely enough, breasts are not at the top of the list.  It can be shoes, hands, hair, jewelry, etc.  Who gets to choose what is sexual or not?  If one's shoes are turning some slug on, should we go barefooted?  Oh wait, some people have foot fetishes.  Back to the drawing board.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

Yes, seriously
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
In my 45 years on this earth, 26 of which involve working in restaurants and hotels, I have never once seen breastfeeding involve a completely exposed breasts. Where are you people hanging out?

@RollTide2008  The playground/park and the mall. I think many women, when in the company of other moms(even if strangers, they're still moms), just...forget where they are and whip it out. Being a public place, the possibility of being seen is going to be there.

I've never seen a woman nurse a child in church, at a party or in a restaurant. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Just don't look if you don't want to see it. Simple as that.

@SilleeMee  No it isn't that simple.  In an office or a restaurant I should not have to avoid looking to enjoy my night out.  It's simply rude behavior.   I don't file my toe nails at the table, I don't use my foot file in the doctor's office.  Good grief.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes as the new saying goes, some things you just can't unsee.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

These days we are subjected to all sorts of highly sexual bare boobage and cleavage on a daily basis, old and young, the "girls" are on display wherever you go. when non-sexualized breasts are being used for their intended purpose women are shamed.

A little more public shame would take care of a lot of issues and problems today.  Like shame on people that don't support their families; people who prey on others at work; people who steal packages, etc.   Big shame and little shame--it's about respect for others.  And to me this breastfeeding is simply a lack of respect for those around you. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Just don't look if you don't want to see it. Simple as that.

@SilleeMee  No it isn't that simple.  In an office or a restaurant I should not have to avoid looking to enjoy my night out.  It's simply rude behavior.   I don't file my toe nails at the table, I don't use my foot file in the doctor's office.  Good grief.  

You eat at the table in a restaurant.  Babies are allowed the same privilege .

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

These days we are subjected to all sorts of highly sexual bare boobage and cleavage on a daily basis, old and young, the "girls" are on display wherever you go. when non-sexualized breasts are being used for their intended purpose women are shamed.

A little more public shame would take care of a lot of issues and problems today.  Like shame on people that don't support their families; people who prey on others at work; people who steal packages, etc.   Big shame and little shame--it's about respect for others.  And to me this breastfeeding is simply a lack of respect for those around you. 

yes yes...lets all grab our big fat red Sharpies and draw the Scarlet Letters on those who offend.  Scarlet N for Nipple.   Oh the Humanity

Honored Contributor

Why would the mother refuse to cover up unless she was wanting to make a scene or sue or get a free meal, etc? 

I breastfed all of my babies, and with a blanket or a nursing cover, most people weren't even aware. Yes it's natural, but It isn't hard to be discreet.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

And to me, your judgement is simply a lack of respect for a breastfeeding mother and child.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky