Honored Contributor

Re: Breastfeeding in public?

I think it's fine as long as you cover up when you know it is offending others. How hard is it to let baby eat and cover baby up.  Sometimes you do things just to keep the peace in a situation like this.  It doesn't hurt baby and it doesn't hurt mom.  Too many people have to have it "their way" these days.....thus, we can't get anywhere close to keeping the peace.  This is a small thing but it brings to mind (especially these days) how one small gesture could solve the problem.

Honored Contributor

There are better alternitives.  I have noticed many who just intentionally want to cause a scene.  I am far from a conservative, but those who do not cover their breasts while feeding their baby are not very considerate to others.  A small blanket does the trick.  No one should have to be subjected to her bare breasts!!  Just because a woman has a baby does not give her the right to be indecent in public.    Only a self centered rude woman would insist she has the right to bare her breasts in the guise of feeding her child when most women do not do that.  I do not see many woman even modestly breastfeeding in public so that must mean the majority of women prefer not to even feed their babies in public or as I have observed just put a blanket over themselves while doing it.  Then many others just pump thier breasts so they can quietly feed their child without causing a scene or making others uncomfortable.  Out of all the women I knew who had babies, not one of them ever blatantly did that.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is fine as long as it is done discreetly and respectfully, keeping in mind that it is a natural and beautiful personal time between mother and baby!

However, the way you described this particular situation doesn't sound anything like what I indicated in my personal opinion above....In this case, "whipping out one's breast" is rather exploitive!...Is that how the article described it?

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

I nursed everywhere when my daughter was born and nobody knew it.

This isn't a 3rd world country, women should practice dignity and decorum.

Respect works both ways.

Honored Contributor

I think it is rude and unnecessary.  There's lots of things you could do in public, shouldn't do and don't have to do.  

And don't tell me women have to nurse in public.  I don't buy it at all. 

Honored Contributor

This happened in the state of Kentucky.

Kentucky law states "a mother may breastfeed her baby or express breast milk in any location, public or private," and "no person shall interfere with a mother breastfeeding her child."

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

We've had this very same argument numerous times and the threads don't end well. 

And this one probably won't either...

My personal opinion is toward discretion. I see no point in public breast feeding. There are almost always options and when there aren't, then yes, cover up...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I saw a woman nurse her baby and she had a little "cape like" fabric thing she put on.  People were nearby and it was not even noticeable that she was nursing and she was not showing her  body in public.  Both she and baby seemed very relaxed.

Esteemed Contributor

If you want to breast feed in public that’s your decision but I don’t want to see it. Covering up is not to much to ask. We get that you had a baby but I really don’t want to see you feed it in public. I really wish you would go someplace private and do your business. 

Esteemed Contributor

Over the years I've seen a number of women breast feeding in doctor's offices, and every one of them have covered their breasts. I have no problem with that. But I do have a problem with a woman going to a restaurant and breast feeding without covering up. I don't care how "natural" it is - I have the right to enjoy my dinner or lunch without having to see another woman's breast while feeding her infant. I suppose my rights are less than hers, but honestly, it doesn't take much sense to just cover it all with a baby blanket.