Honored Contributor

Re: Breastfeeding in public?

There's a way to nurse in public that does NOT involve having a nipple dripping with milk hanging out for all the world to see (and yes, I have seen that more times than I care to say). I did it with all my boys. Many have and do.

Decorum, people. Decorum.

Respected Contributor

In my 45 years on this earth, 26 of which involve working in restaurants and hotels, I have never once seen breastfeeding involve a completely exposed breasts. Where are you people hanging out?
Honored Contributor

Giving birth is natural and the purpose of that body part,  touching to some but I don't care to observe it.

Honored Contributor

I did breast feed when my kids were babies, but i did cover up .

I am of old school here. Do it desecretly as possible. 

Honored Contributor

There have been many threads on this topic over the years. Same type of replies and same judgments.

Does it offend me when a woman breast feeds their infant? Not in the least and I wouldn't be offended because I would have no real business watching them.

Honored Contributor

Wow, just wow!  Breast are not  sexual objects.  They are there to feed babies.  What has happened to us as a society that the very sight of breast feeding is considered gross, offputting and indecent?

I fed all three of my children and yes, in public places too.  Most  people have no idea a mother is feeding her baby.  The correct way is to just lift your shirt enough to expose the nipple on the breast the baby will be using.  Once the baby begins feeding, nothing is exposed.  I have had people come up and try to touch the baby or gets it's attention and I has to explain that the baby was nursing at the moment.

A blanket or shaw can be used also if more coverage is desired or you do not want people to bother you.

I would never just remove my whole shirt, but I know it is legal to do so.

the last time I saw a mother breast feeding a child was in church.  She was sitting directly in front of me.  Her child was a toddler and not an infant.  She's looked back at me and I just smiled.  It was lovely to see.

i saw pictures of Rumor Willis shopping in NYC wearing a skirt, no bra and no shirt.  She was completely bare breasted.  I understand that is legal in NYC.

In Europe, women of all ages are topless on  the beach, even elderly women.  No one really makes a big deal of it. No one seems to care.

Respected Contributor

@willomenia wrote:
These are probably the same women who use a breast pump for convenience any other time. The women who say, I'm bondjjng with my baby, no, your not. Bonding would be just you and your baby alone sharing this together. Yes, it is a natural thing, so isn't going to the bathroom, but we dont share in public. It alwsys amazes me how we as a society love technology, but still do backwards things.

Nursing and bonding with your child is probably one of the most important interactions a mother and child can share.  Comparing it with pubic defecation is just bizarre!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
In my 45 years on this earth, 26 of which involve working in restaurants and hotels, I have never once seen breastfeeding involve a completely exposed breasts. Where are you people hanging out?

👍

Me thinks there’s a HUGE back story not being told. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie There's the thing, either breasts are sexual or they're not. If they are, no one should expose them in public. If they're not, everyone should be free to expose them in public. We are arrested if they aren't attached to a child but if they are, feel free to flaunt them anywhere, anytime.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Carmie There's the thing, either breasts are sexual or they're not. If they are, no one should expose them in public. If they're not, everyone should be free to expose them in public. We are arrested if they aren't attached to a child but if they are, feel free to flaunt them anywhere, anytime.

So silly, very few women flaunt them anytime, anywhere.  Just the the movie and TV stars who seem to do so as often as they can.

It doesn't really matter to me either way. The sight of a woman bare breast is no big deal IMO.