Honored Contributor

How do you feel about women breast feeding in public?

I just read about Texas Roadhouse restaurant's corporate office issuing an apology to a customer after one of their restaurant managers asked a woman to cover up while breastfeeding.  The manager asked her to do so because other guests were complaining about it.  When she refused, he tossed a napkin to her (to use for cover) and said others were complaining and walked away.  The lady said she was insulted and her rights to breastfeed were violated.

I couldn't whip out my breast in a public restaurant to breastfeed without covering up. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Breastfeeding in public?

personally, I don’t see anything wrong with it!!! I’d much rather see a mom feeding her baby- it’s perfectly natural, that IS the purpose of breasts after all, THAN to see a woman just letting them all hang out just because.  I breastfed my daughter and have no qualms about it at all. 

Honored Contributor

I think a woman should be able breast feed in public, but I would have the good sense to cover up. I don't think the woman's only agenda was breast feeding in this situation.

Honored Contributor

We've had this very same argument numerous times and the threads don't end well. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Super Contributor

I totally agree - Cover Up!  Both my daughters - now aged 35 and 33 were breastfed babies.  I ALWAYS had a receiving blanket to cover up if and when I had to nurse them in a public place.  Heck, even in my own home, if we had family or company over, I would either go to the bedroom or cover up! 

Honored Contributor

I couldn't do it.  The woman should have covered up anyway, but she definitely should have when she found out others were complaining about it.  I think women have a right to breastfeed in public but should be modest about it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I personally breast fed but always covered up. I think breast feeding is wonderful ...I guess if you are comfortable enough to not cover up in public it's OK with me... but I couldn't do it.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

We've had this very same argument numerous times and the threads don't end well. 

ITA!

As of this writing, there’s an active thread detailing the 

‘how-dare-they’ outrage over someone touching another’s

produce at the grocery store line.

Then add a human body part?

And a full moon, I might add.

It’s gonna get weird.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You have a right to breasfeed in public. but do I not  have a right to NOT see your breast even the Possibility of seing your breast?  PLEASE tell me what is the big degredation of covering your shoulder and breast while you feed in a public place. I really do NOT understand that.  and PLEASE do not cry foul when people do stare at you in a public place if you don't. 

Feed i you will but don't flaunt it in my face.

ETA: The General "you" Not OP  sorry, wasn't too clear onthat.

Honored Contributor

I have no problem with breast feeding in public but would expect the mother to put a blanket/diaper over her....I have no desire to see someone's  exposed body in public...it is a common courtesy.