Honored Contributor

Re: Breaking News: Prince Philip

[ Edited ]

Prayers for his family.

Here's an excerpt, with images, from an interesting article in Artnet about the late Prince Philip.

May he rest in peace.

"The Late Prince Philip Was a Devoted Patron of the Arts and a Hobbyist Painter—Here Are Some of His Most Notable Pursuits"

April 9, 2021

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh pictured painting with oil colors at an easel during filming of the television documentary 'Royal Family' in London in 1969. Courtesy of Getty Images.

(Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, pictured painting with oil colors at an easel during filming of the television documentary 'Royal Family' in London in 1969. Courtesy of Getty Images.)

"Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh and husband of Queen Elizabeth, died today at home at Windsor Castle, at the age of 99.

Though best known as a sportsman, throughout his life the Prince also possessed an abiding appreciation for the arts, both as a patron and a hobbyist artist. 

The Prince, who married Queen Elizabeth II in 1947, privately enjoyed oil painting, creating numerous portraits and landscapes over the decades, some of which were kept in his private collection, others of which are held in the Royal Collection Trust. 

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, The Queen at Breakfast (1965). Courtesy of the Royal Collection Trust.

(Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, The Queen at Breakfast (1965). Courtesy of the Royal Collection Trust.)

Perhaps his best-known painting, The Queen at Breakfast, from 1965, is a strikingly affectionate and informal portrait of the queen as she enjoys her morning meal and reads a newspaper in the dining room at Windsor Castle.

The intimate depiction of the monarch was featured in the book The Royal Portrait: Image and Impact, published in 2010, and offers a rare private glimpse into the Queen’s daily life.

The prince’s long friendship with the English artist Edward Seago was deeply formative, both to his own style and his appreciation of the arts.

The Royal Collection Trust noted of the prince’s painting Duart Castle from the Sound of Mull, that “[t]he atmosphere and light show the influence of his friend, the artist Edward Seago.” 

Edward Seago's Portrait of the Duke of Edinburgh made during the Prince's world tour.

(Edward Seago’s Portrait of the Duke of Edinburgh made during the Prince’s world tour. Courtesy of the Royal Collection Trust.)

In 1956, Prince Philip invited Seago on a tour of the Antarctic and a number of the artist’s paintings from the journey were subsequently displayed at Balmoral Castle in Scotland.... 

...During the Duke of Edinburgh’s world tour, from 1956 to 1957, the prince would paint a portrait of Seago at his easel on board the Royal Yacht Britannia.

Seago, in turn, made a portrait of the prince at work with his oil paints. The pair of paintings were shown together in the 2016 exhibition “Portrait of The Artist” at Buckingham Palace.

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Portrait of the Artist (1956-57). Courtesy of the Royal Collection Trust.

(Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Portrait of the Artist (1956-57). Courtesy of the Royal Collection Trust.)

The Duke of Edinburgh’s interests in the arts extended well beyond his own pursuits.

He was a devoted patron, acquiring works by contemporary artists for the Royal Collection Trust, notably by British and Commonwealth artists including Barbara Hepworth, Mary Fedden, and Sidney Nolan, as well as ceramics by Austrian artist Lucie Rie....

Prince Philip's sketches for the stained glass windows for a private chapel at Windsor Castle. Courtesy of the Royal Collection Trust.

(Prince Philip’s sketches for the stained glass windows for a private chapel at Windsor Castle. Courtesy of the Royal Collection Trust.)

...In 1992, following a fire at Windsor Castle, the Prince assumed the role of chairman of its restoration committee.

According to the Royal Collection Trust, he was closely involved both in the restoration process of the castle as well as the design of the stained glass windows for a new chapel at Windsor Castle, making sketches that he shared with Joseph Nuttgens, the stained glass artist who designed the windows, which were installed in the chapel in 1997.

Prince Philip, too, was the subject of portraits by leading artists and photographers of the 20th century, including Thomas Struth, Cecil Beaton, and Lord Snowdon, the husband of Princess Margaret.

In 2017, the Duke of Edinburgh marked his retirement from public engagements with a portrait painted by Austrian artist Ralph Heimans.

“As patron and collector, as well as designer and artist, the Duke of Edinburgh held a deep personal interest in British design, architecture, and engineering, championing creativity and industry throughout his lifetime,” wrote Tristram Hunt, director of the V&A in a remembrance."

copy and paste link to read the complete article:

news.artnet.com/art-world/prince-philip-as-a-patron-of-the-arts-and-an-hobbyist-painter-1958058

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Even though 30 people can be in the room at the service it does not mean that other people can't be in other rooms viewing the service on screens.

It's done all the time.  I have been to a number of events where the speaker was so popular that this was the case.  It's done all the time.  

I'm sure there will be everyone the family wants at the service, but not in THE room.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Even though 30 people can be in the room at the service it does not mean that other people can't be in other rooms viewing the service on screens.

It's done all the time.  I have been to a number of events where the speaker was so popular that this was the case.  It's done all the time.  

I'm sure there will be everyone the family wants at the service, but not in THE room.  

@Sooner 

Is there anyone who doesn't believe these people have all been vaccinated?  There's no way the royals weren't at the very front of the line when vaccines were given, at home, in private.

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

dooBdoo,

Thank you so much for the enlightening appreciation of another facet of Prince Philip.  I was unaware that he was both a producer and patron of the arts.   He did lovely work, didn't he?  What a special soul he possessed.

The more I learn about him, the more I recognize the extraordinary gifts he brought to the Royal family.  No doubt he will be missed more deeply and by more people than might have been originally estimated.

May he rest in peace. 

ETA:  Reading Reiki's post reminded me that I should have written, "May his memory be eternal," which is what Greek Orthodox Christians say at a time like this.  Prince Philip, who was born on the Greek island Corfu, into the Greek royal family, was baptized in the Greek Orthodox Church.   You are correct in thinking that no Greek blood flowed in the Greek royal family.  It has been said that no Greek would ever agree to being ruled by another Greek. 

Respected Contributor

Hey ladies, I was just looking and reading your responses and didn't mean to post at all.... The Queen and loved ones have my condolences of course.
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo Thank you so much for such an interesting article on the life and accomplishments of Prince Philip. May his memory be a blessing.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

You're welcome, @golding76 and  @reiki604.   Thank you for your lovely, thoughtful posts.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

The duke's coffin is draped in his personal flag, his standard. The flag represents elements of his life, from his Greek heritage to his British titles. A wreath of flowers has also been placed on the coffin.

When the duke got engaged to the then Princess Elizabeth in 1946, he renounced his Greek title and became a British citizen, taking his mother's anglicised name, Mountbatten.

The Mountbatten family is therefore also represented on the standard, alongside the castle from the arms of the City of Edinburgh - he became Duke of Edinburgh when he married.

_117957986_philip_standard_coffin_640-nc.png

Esteemed Contributor

What a beautiful story there is behind the lives of two people who loved one another the way Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip did.  My heart goes out to the queen, who lost the love of her life.  Condolences also to the entire family.  Rest In Peace Prince Phillip.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam