Honored Contributor

Re: Boy, I Want A Cigarette.

@CrazyKittyLvr2     So sorry you are dealing with so much PLUS the loss of your DH just a year ago.... I understand how you feel with wanting a cigarette...

I too am a long time quit smoker.... and even though I have not touched a cigarette in going on 30 years, I KNOW that if I CHOSE TO pick one up and smoke it... I would enjoy it most likely... once an addict ALWAYS AND ADDICT. 

What keeps us ex smokers staying EX is that we do not bend to the addiction... when you feel like this because of stress YOU MUST DO SOMETHING ELSE... treat yourself to something that is special... a favorite fragrance...a new lip stick...a new outfit... take a DEEP DEEP BREATH .... and know that you are very strong and that you will come out of this stronger.

Do not give in to the cigarette. You and I both know that is not going to make you feel better at all... just DEFEATED.  Stay strong my sister in being a NON SMOKER! 

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry for your troubles.  I can not imagine the stress.  But you can be proud of yourself for not starting an old bad habit.  I hope things get better for you and your family.  Hang in there.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  No, she didn't come after my knee surgery.  I appreciated the offer but she had more health problems than I did and she would have wanted to wait on me.  She and her DH did come up for the day once I felt better.

Petunia is most certainly keeping us laughing.  She thinks she deserves treats all the time.  If you get the treats she sits in front of you like a dog would. Her favorite thing is bugging Tess to no end.  Sometimes she gets hissed at, sometimes Tess has had it with the little upstart and gives her an added swat.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I understand that feeling.  I quit smoking years ago after many attempts.  I still sometimes have that urge come over me.  

I always want to smoke ...people who say it smells bad to them after they quit are just trying to convince themselves they don't like it.I often think I could manage my days better under today's circumstances if I still smoked.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @You have a lot to cope with.It seems to me that you also have the needed strength within.I have admired your courage over this past year.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex  When I worked (not the place I retired from) one of the women was just awful.  2 people quit because of her and clients complained due to her rudeness.

Thank God I smoked then, I joked my ability to smoke on breaks was the only reason I didn't smack her with a stapler.

It's a terrible habit but great for stress.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @When I worked there were two break rooms smoking and non.The smoking was always filled with non smokers...guess we were the most fun.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@dex  No break room, I just went outside on the back porch. It was nippy in the winter.

You know how lighters don't work in the cold?  I kept my lighter in my bra.  It was warm. always worked and I didn't have to hunt for it.  I got teased alot about it. lol

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I've never smoked, so no yen for a cigarette but at times like this I head for the chocolate. We all have our ways of coping lol!  Hope things improve for you soon. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

It's funny you say that. Last week I had a quick urge for a cigarette. I haven't smoked in 23 years and only did smoke for about a year. I didn't do anything about it when I had the urge. I just acknowledged that I might be a little bummed and stressed and should be aware of it. 

Hang in there you will get through this 😊