Honored Contributor

Bought pipe cleaners for my masks

So they can pinch at the nose.

What is the best was to attach them, needle and thread? I think glue might be messy, they work in theory but need a way to make them stay in place

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Re: Bought pipe cleaners for my masks

If there is a  seam along the top, could you make a very small opening and slide the pipe cleaner into the seam?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I made our masks I used a wide zig-zag stitch on the machine and zig-zagged over the wire I used in ours.

I think any kind of glue would make it too stiff.

Esteemed Contributor

If open the top seam, insert pipe cleaner and whip stitch it closed.

Respected Contributor

After you close up the seam, I'd stitch down the seam on both sides of the pipe cleaner to keep it from moving.  Check it out to see if you want the pipe cleaner doubled.

Honored Contributor

I haven't actually done this, but I'd probably twist two together to make them sturdy then I'd whip stitch to the top of the mask.  There are some nice fabric glues that are washable and stay soft.  I'd probably try that too, just 'cause I can.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If these are cloth, not sure about how it would wash.  Thin wires and frequent washing is not a good mix.

Respected Contributor

I really like the bands of metal in the top of my disposable masks. They're about 3-3/4" long and 3/16" wide, I believe. If I were making a cloth mask,  I'd simply salvage one from a discarded paper mask and use it. I'd probably punch a hole in either end and stitch it in place. Same idea with pipe cleaners: Twist two together as suggested by another poster, form a small loop at either end with a single wire, and stitch in place in the mask.

Trusted Contributor

I would crazy glue them on.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

A friend made me some and she made a little pocket so they could be removed for washing.