Trusted Contributor

Re: Bought a new car today....quite a long ordeal....

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

CONGRATS on the new car.  Use it in good health and I hope it gives you a lifetime of good service.  Sounds like you got a GREAT deal (0% financing and bumper to bumper warranty).

We got a new Honda Odyssey over the summer and it took about 2 hours total.  Found a deal on Truecar.com, called a local dealership to see if they'd match the offer, they did, went in and test drove then filled out the paperwork.

I was wondering about Truecar.com.  There have been so many commercials about sites that do the true price research for the customer.  

Honored Contributor

There is absolutely no way buying a car should take 6 solid hours! Why?

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2  I was asking myself the same question as I sat there in the dealership drinking cup after cup of decafe coffee....  perhaps because it was the end of the month and there was a rush of buyers there when we were there... perhaps because it was a Saturday....? Seems like most  people I talk to and those on this thread had a simular experience of it taking hours to go through the process.  I think doing it via online and skipping the  physical dealership would be the way to go in the future.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2  I was asking myself the same question as I sat there in the dealership drinking cup after cup of decafe coffee....  perhaps because it was the end of the month and there was a rush of buyers there when we were there... perhaps because it was a Saturday....? Seems like most  people I talk to and those on this thread had a simular experience of it taking hours to go through the process.  I think doing it via online and skipping the  physical dealership would be the way to go in the future.

My BIL and his son have purchased 3 cars on line (with some phone contact) from an out of state dealer.  It worked out perfectly.  They got fantastic deals and financing.  Just set up the date for pick up and drove down in the car they were tradining in.  May-be spent about an hour once they arrived.  It was a four hour drive but the amount of money they saved compared to local dealers was several thousands because this dealership has one of the highest sales volume on the East coast.

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

If this applies. How long did/does it take to complete a home mortgage contract?

For the majority of people a new vehicle is the 2nd most expensive purchase they will ever make. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

The last few vehicles we've bought were paid by cash and it STILL took around 4-5 hours.

4-5 hours and no finance paperwork to do? Ridiculous and aggravating. I can't believe we even waited that long to pay someone that much money.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

The OP chose a very busy day to buy a car. Not so surprising that the process took so long. In the northeast there was a blizzard the previous Saturday, so dealerships were closed and certainly no one was out shopping for anything, so extra demand.  In addition, it was the last shopping day of the month-always busy. 2015 was a record year for all car sales; the demand continues. The economy is stable and interest rates remain low. Many who kept older cars through the recession now need new ones. In my own family we have four cars. A '99 model was totaled on black ice in Jan '14 and replaced at that time with a new '13 model. A ten year old hand-me -down from Grandpa was replaced with a new '14 model and I bought a 2014 car in December to replace my fading '04. 

My most recent purchase required three visits. The previous purchase took several hours as I made the mistake of going to see and drive a car on President;s Day (just like a Saturday). At the time I did not anticipate making the purchase; it just worked out that way. When I bought DS's car on a rainy Tuesday, I got my price and drove it home in just a few hours. Same with the 2013 model. Went to see it on a zero degree night in January. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The last few vehicles we've bought were paid by cash and it STILL took around 4-5 hours.

4-5 hours and no finance paperwork to do? Ridiculous and aggravating. I can't believe we even waited that long to pay someone that much money.

Sounds like your experiences are more of a dealership issue than a new vehicle buying issue. For those like youself, that can and are able to pay cash?

Pick the right time of the month/day(not night) of the week/and the time of that "day". If you have picked the vehicle and have paid the cash, tell them to give you a quick receipt for the money you gave them. Next, tell them to contact you when all that is left to do is: sign the paperwork and drive the vehicle out the door/off the lot.

Any new vehicle dealership should be able to do this. It is more a matter of, will they. If not? Buy or order your vehicle from one that will. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I just traded in my Acura RDX (long time faithful Acura fan) for the new 2016 RDX.  I was in/ out in 2 hours.  However, the thing that ticked me off is, there aren't spare tires & jacks in most of the 2016 car models being released.  What's up with that?!?!  Trust me, I didn't leave the dealership without one.  The "excuse" I was given was the "extra" weight took away from getting a better gas milage.  I then asked the salesperson, "...and what kind of gas milage would I get with a flat tire & no spare?"  Again, in & out in 2 hours sporting my beautiful RDX equipped with a spare & jack ;~)). 

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I just traded in my Acura RDX (long time faithful Acura fan) for the new 2016 RDX.  I was in/ out in 2 hours.  However, the thing that ticked me off is, there aren't spare tires & jacks in most of the 2016 car models being released.  What's up with that?!?!  Trust me, I didn't leave the dealership without one.  The "excuse" I was given was the "extra" weight took away from getting a better gas milage.  I then asked the salesperson, "...and what kind of gas milage would I get with a flat tire & no spare?"  Again, in & out in 2 hours sporting my beautiful RDX equipped with a spare & jack ;~)). 

Unfortunately spare tires have not been "Standard Equipment" for many years now. They are however a "For Pay Option", and if you want the same tire/wheel size? A more expensive option. Many spare tire options are the "little bitty donut spare tire", which they recommend driving on for very miles.

The last 2 new vehicles I bought, getting a "Full Size Same Wheel and Tires" as the 4 on the car. It was a "wheelin/dealin" on both vehicles, but I got them.

Gas mileage? I'd love to have a salesperson try to sell me that line of bs, I would have a ball debating that nonsense with them. All manufacturers have to meet certain mileage standards. Unless it has changed, that was a certain "miles per gallon" average of all vehicles manufactured by that company. Not a specific size or model, but the average "mpg" of their whole fleet.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)