Honored Contributor

Re: Bought a new car today....quite a long ordeal....

Oh my Goodness - that's nothing - one afternoon. My DH first decides what car he wants - then he goes to every dealer he can find to see what deal each will make him. Do you know how many chevrolet dealers there are in a city the size of Pittsburgh? Try spending an afternoon at each one. We also have to go to the auto show at the convention center and sit in about 1000 different cars.He really enjoys the process and I , unfortunately, have to go and enjoy it with him. Our lease will be up on his current car next jan so i suspect we will start the process this summer while we are in Pittsburgh. That means we spend every sunday afternoon walking around every car dealer looking at the cars and reading the stickers. He turns buying a car into a hobby. However, he does make good choices and is good at dealing.

Honored Contributor

I hear you.. I HATE it and believe it's done this way on purpose so you'll just agree to anything to get out of there.

I was with a friend a few weeks ago who had to buy a new vehicle. She knew what she wanted and online looked at a few to get an idea of the prices, options, etc. On this day, I drove her to a dealer so if she bought one, she could drive it back. The vehicle (and this is what I HATE) was advertised as "XYZ with this and that for ABC price"; she called to confirm and then when we arrived it had "just been sold" but we do have THIS one.....

The "one" they had was $15,000 more due to all the bells and whistles she didn't want. She looked at the guy and said "I'm paying cash. I'm not paying for junk I don't want. See ya". 

He said "Cash? It's yours for the ABC price".

We were out of there in 30 minutes which SHOCKED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cash is King.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dad says there's two things in life he hates: using public restrooms and buying cars - but sometimes you have to do each. 

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why but we went through a similar experience. My husband decided he wanted a new car. We went to the dealer where he bought his past 3 cars. He picked out a car that was as close as what he wanted, that they had on the lot. Went for a 2 minute test dive. And said he wanted it. It was about 10AM. We did not get out of the dealer until well after 5 PM. No haggling, no credit problems. We never did find out what took so long. Every few hours the salesman would apologize for the delay but that was it. No explanation why there was a delay.

By contrast - a year later I bought my car. Went after work and drove out an hour or so later with the new car. Not the same dealer. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@SeaMaiden, I don't mind shopping, but for me, car shopping is a major trauma to live through. I'd rather get a root canal, I just hate it. So I feel for you. Glad it's over and do enjoy your new car.

Yes @qualitygal... Now that you mention it.... I would rather get a root canal than go through the hoops and barrels of buying a car at a dealership also!  I think the way to go is to buy it through say Costco and bypass the dealer face to face and do the whole transaction via online. I know many people are doing this now. I think this new car may just out live me so perhaps I will not have to experience the joys of buying a new car again. My husband is next in line for a new car here in a few months.... perhaps we will go in a bit tougher and smarter now that we have had this "EXPERIENCE" .

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I drive my cars until they fall apart.    Meanwhile, I save up for the new one.

Well, here's the kicker:    The dealers no longer want to sell you a car for cash.    Last time, I had to say, "sell me the thing, or I'm walking out of here,"

Times have sure changed.......................

@Desertdi You are so right. There is no finagling with the price buying a new car. They instead have incentives... I think when you buy a used car, you can still finagle a bit. 

Respected Contributor

DH has always said that you get the best deals on a Monday at the end of the month. Monday is the slowest day for sales (after the weekend) and salesmen usually have quotas they have to make at the end of the month. This has always worked for us...got our last pickup that way. Made an offer on a truck we had looked at and liked and we were ready to walk out if they didn't take it. They did (we paid cash) and we got a great deal!

Honored Contributor

@sarpy wrote:

It will be quite some time before we get a new car.  We have a 2003 Buick with 72,000 miles on it.  Since we are in our 70s don't need one.  Within 3 miles of 3 different grocery stores. 4 blocks from Walmart, Kohls, Lowes.  2 miles from the dr.  Does anyone think we need a new car?

@sarpy  We only bought this new car as my husbands car 18 years old has a cracked head gasket.. and to fix it was going to be $3000 plus... it also had other expensive fixes needed.... So, we decided to get something brand new.... that was dependable and reliable.

I do not think you need to buy a newer car yet, unless your car starts to in a major way nickel and dime you.  Sounds like your driving is a lot like ours. My husband still drives to work each day  and will for a few more years. I want him to have something safe to drive on the freeways. I will keep the 16 year old van that we have as a second car to make my trips to the store etc as I am no longer working. My older van works well and for now will be fine. 

Respected Contributor

My husband loves the whole process.  He'll spend days going back and forth between dealerships, playing the dickering game.

I tell him basically what I want, then he's on his own - goes while I'm at work.   It's not until it's narrowed down to 2 choices that I'll even go and take a look.  I'm not picky, just need a seat with lots of adjustments so I can make it comfortable for my back.   

He trades a vehicle in every year or at most, 2, and just pays the difference.  As I said, he loves the process.   For me, as long as I have a car that gets me from Point A to Point B without a problem, I'm happy.

Honored Contributor

@sarpy wrote:

It will be quite some time before we get a new car.  We have a 2003 Buick with 72,000 miles on it.  Since we are in our 70s don't need one.  Within 3 miles of 3 different grocery stores. 4 blocks from Walmart, Kohls, Lowes.  2 miles from the dr.  Does anyone think we need a new car?

Just a thought for pondering, @sarpy -

Previous to my buying a new car three weeks ago, I had a 2002 Elantra with 85,000 miles on it - also low. It wasn't the engine that was failing, it was the physical body of the car - the radiator had to be replaced because the metal was literally disintegrating, and belts, chains, etc. Mechanically my car was still sound, but physically it was half dead, and every nickel I put into it was a waste, as it was worth less than the insurance premium I'd been paying. And I don't live where the weather is bad. Just something to be aware can happen. I just (Friday!) retired, and my new car will be my last one, but it's sure nice to have new again 😎

Life without Mexican food is no life at all