Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bought a new car today....quite a long ordeal....

Congratulations of your new car! I know someone who recently got a Kia and it is a really cute car. I forget which one they got but it looked very nice.

Besides taking a test drive and such, that does seem like a very long time to do the paperwork. When I got a new car a bit ago it took literally 45 min once I picked it out and decided on the price I was willing to pay. Now I paid cash and didn't do financing so I know that accounted for less time but many people I know who got cars were in and out. Maybe they were just super busy that day.  Anyway, enjoy driving around!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I also HATE the whole game with all the legal deceptive practices.  I don't care about the salesperson's families (they conveniently knock down pictures and set them back up for the customer to see, etc.), the small talk of the salesperson to try to find common interests, etc.   I never test drive as I know I will not like anything. I only like what I have been driving and I keep mine for years and years (10 to 20 years) and only get another when I absolutely need to.  If I only have the new one to drive then I will get used to  it and end up liking it.   They also don't want you to get your own financing since they get "incentives" for procuring loans for customers.  Thank goodness some dealerships are now paying salespersons more and doing away with the price dickering game and everyone gets the same great price and salespeople don't have to make you work for a good deal   saving time and much anxiety and frustration.

Pook, this happened to me last time I went to buy a car. I paid cash and they were trying to get my info so they could run my credit report and see what financing I qualified for. I said, oh, you must have not heard me I don't want to finance any of it. The salesman told me they HAVE run my report because it is meant to identify money laundering by terrorists and the Patriot Act requires them to. I was literally laughing so hard I thought tears were going to run  down my face. I asked him how many idiots actually fall for that. Then I took my business to their competitor. I also emailed him and his supervisor with the info on the sale from their competitor because I really wanted to make sure they knew exactly why I took my business elsewhere and that their ridiculous sales tactic cost them a lot. I left on review on YELP too explaining this deceptive practice.  I couldn't believe it. I understand why they try to get customers to finance because they make more money but to actually lie to them saying they need to run credit when purchasing with other means is vile. I also reported them to BBB and the Federal Trade Commission for deceptive practices. Unneeded credit checks affect your credit report as 10% of your credit score is based on credit checks and inquiries.  

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@BornToShop wrote:

I just traded in my Acura RDX (long time faithful Acura fan) for the new 2016 RDX.  I was in/ out in 2 hours.  However, the thing that ticked me off is, there aren't spare tires & jacks in most of the 2016 car models being released.  What's up with that?!?!  Trust me, I didn't leave the dealership without one.  The "excuse" I was given was the "extra" weight took away from getting a better gas milage.  I then asked the salesperson, "...and what kind of gas milage would I get with a flat tire & no spare?"  Again, in & out in 2 hours sporting my beautiful RDX equipped with a spare & jack ;~)). 

Unfortunately spare tires have not been "Standard Equipment" for many years now. They are however a "For Pay Option", and if you want the same tire/wheel size? A more expensive option. Many spare tire options are the "little bitty donut spare tire", which they recommend driving on for very miles.

The last 2 new vehicles I bought, getting a "Full Size Same Wheel and Tires" as the 4 on the car. It was a "wheelin/dealin" on both vehicles, but I got them.

Gas mileage? I'd love to have a salesperson try to sell me that line of bs, I would have a ball debating that nonsense with them. All manufacturers have to meet certain mileage standards. Unless it has changed, that was a certain "miles per gallon" average of all vehicles manufactured by that company. Not a specific size or model, but the average "mpg" of their whole fleet.

hckynut(john)

Amen to you hckynut!  It is amazing the service & extras needed that can be obtained to seal the deal & to your point; the 2nd most expensive item one would buy in a lifetime.  They need to get up a tad earlier in the morning to get ahead of the likes of you & me!  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Enjoy your new car! 

I am happy to say that my car turns 16-years-old this year and still drives like the day I drove it off the lot.  The only thing I've ever had to do, other than routine maintenance and tires is that I had to have one belt replaced a couple of years ago.  Love my car!

Valued Contributor

hockey nut:  We have always kept this car in our garage and we were both retired when we bought it.  Never has been driven to work.  I know you live in Douglas County.  How is the weather in your neck of the woods? We live in Sarpy Co.

Valued Contributor

I would like you for a neighbor.  You sound like my kind.

Respected Contributor

Re: Bought a new car today....quite a long ordeal....,

@sarpy wrote:

hockey nut:  We have always kept this car in our garage and we were both retired when we bought it.  Never has been driven to work.  I know you live in Douglas County.  How is the weather in your neck of the woods? We live in Sarpy Co.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself; Sandhills country is where I hail from; Brown County.