Honored Contributor

Re: Bought a new car today....quite a long ordeal....

@SeaMaiden, I don't mind shopping, but for me, car shopping is a major trama to live through. I'd rather get a root canal, I just hate it. So I feel for you. Glad it's over and do enjoy your new car.

Honored Contributor

I drive my cars until they fall apart.    Meanwhile, I save up for the new one.

Well, here's the kicker:    The dealers no longer want to sell you a car for cash.    Last time, I had to say, "sell me the thing, or I'm walking out of here,"

Times have sure changed.......................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

We bought a 2016 KIA Sorento.  We got to the dealership at 11:00 AM....left at 5:00 PM. It is very long and drawn out process....  We had to wait an hour just to get the final paperwork drawn up as there were people in front of us.

We test drove two cars.  I am mentally drained. I forgot what all was involved in purchasing a car as it had been 16 years. The sales person was  a pleasent none pushy person and we never felt rushed or pushed into anything.  Only negative was the time spent. We got 0% financing and it comes with a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty, and free oil changes for the life of the car......Beautiful car!

I have bought a lot of new vehicles, and not a single one of them was done in 1 visit. No way would I spend a whole day working out my best deal. Since new vehicles are 2nd most expensive purchase in my life, ain't no way I would cram it all into 1 visit.

One visit also doesn't let me do much " wheelin and dealin", which is always a part of my new vehicle purchases. Not an "Ordeal" to me,more like a time for some fun.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I bought a new car three weeks ago (Hyundai Elantra) through TrueCar. I did a lot of research online on multiple "true cost" sites and had a ballpark figure before I ever asked for an online quote. We agreed on a price within an hour, but then disagreed on something else and I left. The dealer and I both compromised the following day, and I went back, where it took a further 4 hrs for all the paperwork, car wash, etc. and I could drive it home. It was more of an ordeal than I'd planned on (had bought my previous car online as well and that only took 90 min to pick up the car), but I was satisfied with the price and having gotten everything I wanted. I do love that new car smell!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I also HATE the whole game with all the legal deceptive practices.  I don't care about the salesperson's families (they conveniently knock down pictures and set them back up for the customer to see, etc.), the small talk of the salesperson to try to find common interests, etc.   I never test drive as I know I will not like anything. I only like what I have been driving and I keep mine for years and years (10 to 20 years) and only get another when I absolutely need to.  If I only have the new one to drive then I will get used to  it and end up liking it.   They also don't want you to get your own financing since they get "incentives" for procuring loans for customers.  Thank goodness some dealerships are now paying salespersons more and doing away with the price dickering game and everyone gets the same great price and salespeople don't have to make you work for a good deal   saving time and much anxiety and frustration.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I drive my cars until they fall apart.    Meanwhile, I save up for the new one.

Well, here's the kicker:    The dealers no longer want to sell you a car for cash.    Last time, I had to say, "sell me the thing, or I'm walking out of here,"

Times have sure changed.......................

They make money on the financing charges, that's why they don't like cash paying customers!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

It will be quite some time before we get a new car.  We have a 2003 Buick with 72,000 miles on it.  Since we are in our 70s don't need one.  Within 3 miles of 3 different grocery stores. 4 blocks from Walmart, Kohls, Lowes.  2 miles from the dr.  Does anyone think we need a new car?

Honored Contributor

a whole day is too long

I hope you enjoy  the car

I check out the car, then come back when ready to buy, would never buy the same day

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Congrats on the new car! It sounds like a nice car with an excellent warranty! Enjoy your car... Love the new car smell!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I HAD to get a new car back in September since my 8 year old Santa Fe was totalled in an accident!

I usually hate buying a car - I'm not good at dickering. I used to call on a client in Rochester who had a "no dicker sticker" price on Subarus - so I went to her site and checked out prices.

When I went to my usual (local) dealer, I was treated with total disrespect. They had one 2015 left in the showroom -a fully loaded Forester. There was a sign that said "Ask about big discount - last 2015 left." After 20 minutes of waiting, the "discount" was $1200 on a $36,000 car (sticker price). What a joke! The sleazy salesman acted like he was insulted at my "great" deal. I don't like playing games, so I left. I later checked out ther inventory on their website - they had 8 or so 2015 Foresters left - just not in the showroom!!!

I went to a dealer 30 minutes out of my way...they were wonderful, gave me a great price, returned my rental car and let me drive out with dealer plates (I got there late in the evening). They came to my place of work the next day and swapped out the plates and registration.

The moral of the story for me - don't settle for a dealership you may have used for years - get up and try out new places ifd you feel uncomfortable or disrespected...you may be pleasantly surprised!