Honored Contributor

i have a brita pitcher and i buy bottled water......i prefer fiji and deer park and vos.

we do have recycling pickup weekly.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Sooner, a huge convenience? For who? Not for our oceans. Haven't you heard about the  great plastic drift?  It's been in the media for years now.

https://theoceancleanup.com/great-pacific-garbage-patch/

Trusted Contributor

I buy three cases of water a week with more in the pantry.  The gov says to have at least a few days per person in bottled water in case of an emergency, and when there as a water main break, it came in very handy.  Every bottle is recycled, but as all of the worldwide studies are showing, that's rather meaningless.  

A major-league filter is in our future, but I'll still have a stash to cover 1-2 weeks.

Since I'm not at war with plastic, and we have no shortage of landfill space (again, see the worldwide studies), this isn't in my top 1,000 of worries.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

We've had an RO System since the 90's.  Drinking. cooking, and hooked to the Frig for Ice & cold water.  

The yearly 3 filter change is not cheap, but still cheaper than all those bottles for a year.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Super Contributor

Water filters do not remove cadmium, mercury, etc. out of water.   Only REVERSE OSMOSIS and DISTILLED completely remove contaminants that are deemed poisonous to our bodies.     

Trusted Contributor

@camelot wrote:

Sooner, a huge convenience? For who? Not for our oceans. Haven't you heard about the  great plastic drift?  It's been in the media for years now.

https://theoceancleanup.com/great-pacific-garbage-patch/

That plastic also isn't from this country.  90% of the plastic comes from five rivers in Africa, India and Asia.  A certain politician signed an executive order to tackle it.  

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@Mona_L wrote:

Water filters do not remove cadmium, mercury, etc. out of water.   Only REVERSE OSMOSIS and DISTILLED completely remove contaminants that are deemed poisonous to our bodies.     

There is another type of filter that gets most everything...but flouride, chlorine and medicine residues are vital to remove.

Super Contributor

Re: Bottled water

[ Edited ]

"Since I'm not at war with plastic, and we have no shortage of landfill space (again, see the worldwide studies), this isn't in my top 1,000 of worries".

Yes, and since you obviously don't live by the ocean or care about it, why concern yourself? Everything is connected and plastic will end up in your body.

Trusted Contributor

Here in the Mojave, our water is so hard you could use it as a weapon!  The fridge has cold, filtered water at the ready, and a filter under the sink works for a couple of years to make tap water more palatable. I take a reusable sport bottle with me when out and about.  Agree with the posters who believe humans use too much plastic to the detriment of the environment.

Respected Contributor

I have hard  well water that needs a water softner so all the water I drink is bottled.