Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bon Ton closing sale......what a joke!!!

I think I'm the only one that really loved Carson's and will miss it immensely! My store was always crowded.....always!! Thats's why I was, and still am, so surprised its closing. Loved my store! I used to live withing walking distance of that mall that housed Carson's. We moved 350 miles away and when I go visit my kids now I always go to Carson's to stock up. Thankfully, I have found some lovely boutiques in towns nearby that have great clothes so that's where I'll be shopping now. 

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The best is a bankruptcy sale, where federal marshals lock the doors so prices can't be changed. A small local store where I lived had one once. DH gave me $50 and I bought several nice things including a pair of long white leather gloves at 50-75% off. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Our Bon Ton had been going downhill for some time. The selections were worse than mediocre and horribly displayed. I wondered how they were able to hang on for as long as they did. Our mall is a ghost town. Forty years ago, some people in our small city fought against the opening of the mall, lamenting the demise of the downtown area. Now our downtown is undergoing a huge construction boom and our mall is dead. Time marches on.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

A Sears store is closing at our local mall.  Someone posted on our neighborhood website about it stating they work there and that appliance (and many other items were 50%).  So off I go to see if I can get a bargain.  Appliances were only 10% off and clothing was 30% off.  I went to check out mattresses but only a few were on sale.  I can tell they clearly marked up the prices.  A queen mattress (just the mattress) was on sale for $1799.  I got one about a month ago, a much nicer one, mattress and box spring for $699.  Mens dresss shirts were $55 plus with 30% off that.  The whole store was like this.  I left, no thank you.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Most retailers contract with a liquidation firm to run their going out of business sales. They raise the prices and then put the merchandise on “sale. Can’t believe people still fall for this sales tactic.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

I think I'm the only one that really loved Carson's and will miss it immensely! My store was always crowded.....always!! Thats's why I was, and still am, so surprised its closing. Loved my store! I used to live withing walking distance of that mall that housed Carson's. We moved 350 miles away and when I go visit my kids now I always go to Carson's to stock up. Thankfully, I have found some lovely boutiques in towns nearby that have great clothes so that's where I'll be shopping now. 

No @ID2   I also loved Carson's. The one that was in my city's downtown area was the store my mother and grandmother shopped at for years so it also because my store. For ~ ten years I worked across the street from this store. The company I worked for at that time was one of the Big Six accounting firms so our dress code was corporate attire. There would also be client events which would pop up at the last minute. It was so convenient knowing a store so well I knew where whatever I needed was located.  Sizing was consistent so I could pop in at lunch time, pick up an outfit and be assured that it would fit. That particular store left the area about ten years ago. I continued to shop at Carson's in other locations but with each passing year things like knowledgeable employees/customer service/availability of quality clothing continued to decline.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I was at Carson's on Sunday looking for houseslippers.  Everything was marked down 25% and they were offering an additional 10% for Mother's Day.  I didn't like the styles or colors they had so I waited and walked down to Penney's.  They had the same brands on sale for less than what Carson's had them for.....and in a style and color that I liked....so I purchased them at Penney's.

I didn't look at anything else at Carsons but my mom had been there a few days before and said the same thing....that original prices were inflated.

I always liked our Carsons and they were always busy so I'm sorry to see them go.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Bon Ton is the last anchor store left in our mall. It's been steadily going down for at least ten years. I never saw anyone in the store unless there was a sale and then they had one checkout for 25 ppl. You could never find a sales assistant in the store.

Actually, they've been gone for a long time.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I also loved Carsons.  My father's first job was at Carsons (in the 1940s).  I worked there part time in the jewelry dept. for a few years.  I went to the liquidation sale and it was a disaster with high prices and jammed racks and tables.  Sad!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am really sad to see our Bon Ton(Boston Store) close. It has been an anchor store in our local mall for over 30 years.....We no longer have any anchor stores in our mall, so I am sure that will be closing soon as well....

Our Boston Store was a good one, and I will be sad to see it go, and a lot of people will lose their jobs as well.Someone mentioned to wait another month for the really steep discounts, but by then everything will be picked over.......  

61 YRS OLD, MED GOLDEN BROWN HAIR, MED TAN SKINTONE.......